Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Default What to pack for 2 week Mediterranean Cruise

Has anyone any suggestions as to what to pack and the quantities required for a 2 week cruise in August in the Meditteranean. I believe there are 3 formal evenings. We have cruised many times but never in the summer and for this length of time.

As there are weight and baggage allowances I want to be careful as to what to bring with us and allow some space to bring items home from our visit. I would be willing to leave some clothing over there.

If there is a site on this website with suggestions that would be terrific.

Seabreez
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

SeaBreeze,

Has anyone any suggestions as to what to pack and the quantities required for a 2 week cruise in August in the Meditteranean. I believe there are 3 formal evenings. We have cruised many times but never in the summer and for this length of time.

As there are weight and baggage allowances I want to be careful as to what to bring with us and allow some space to bring items home from our visit. I would be willing to leave some clothing over there.

If there is a site on this website with suggestions that would be terrific.

The basic packing list is not much different from what I suggested for the Hawaii cruise in another recent thread, but bear in mind that men must wear pants that extend below the knee and ladies must wear pants or skirts that extend below the knee, tops that cover the shoulders completely, and some sort of head cover (a kerchief is okay) to enter the churches and possibly mosques on your shore excursions. Reduce the number of pairs of shorts to about two pairs since you probably will wear them only on days at sea. You probably also can get by with just one swimsuit unless you are enough of an avid swimmer to go swimming after a full day on tour. Also, be sure to bring a pair of shoes that is good for walking moderate distances over uneaven terrain.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Norm has provided excellent advice in regard to the amount of clothing to pack and also in regard to what to pack for excursions to churches, cathedrals and mosques. I would also suggest that you pack a collapse able duffel bag for any additional purchases you will make while in the ports of the Mediterranean.

To save on packing resign yourself to the fact that you will have to send out some items to be laundered. It will save on weight, packing and the amount of luggage you will need. I feel it's worth the laundry charge. For a 14 day cruise we packed for a seven and sent out our laundry twice during the voyage. The charge was under $40. There are usually specials offered for regular items.

The number and weight of your luggage will be limited by the airlines and not the cruise line. The weight limit will be 50 to 70 lbs and 2 to 3 bags per person, depending on airline and class of travel.

Enjoy your cruise. The Mediterranean is a wonderful area and a favorite of mine.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Admiral

SeaBreez,

For the record, my packing list for a 14-day cruise and an adaptation thereof for ladies is in the recent thread titled "Packing for 14 day cruise" (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546737) in this forum. With the minor mofificaitons noted in my previous post in this thread, it should serve you well.

Norm.
Old January 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also have a suggestion - cross pack. Hubby and I lay everything out by category in the guest bedroom and then we divide each stack by the number of suitcases we are taking so that a little of everything goes in each suitcase. That way if a suitcase doesn't make it, at least we have changes of clothes. After all, why would you want to spend your time in Europe shopping for clothes to wear on your cruise.
If some of your luggage gets left behind, it might take a while to catch up with you.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

We did laundry on our 15 night cruise to Hawaii -- helped immensely. Each load was $1 for wash and $1 for dry.

We also packed only for a 7-night.

I also packed those dry cleaning dryer bag things for the evening clothes.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!