Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Default Dinner Attaire on Alaska Cruise

We will be cruising northbound June 14, 2008 on Sapphire Princess. I have read that jeans are not to be worn in the dining room. If I am just getting back to the ship I might want to just go eat before going to my cabin. How strict is this policy? We have anytime dining, not that would make a difference I guess. I have seen comments here about people wondering why someone wouldn't want to dress formally or also dress up to go to dinner. Not everyone is like that and it really is personal preference. If I can't go to the dining room in jeans, can I eat elsewhere? Obviously I am a first time cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry - no jeans allowed. You can choose to dine in other restaurants, like the buffet area which is open at night, or room service (great pizza).

Taking a shower and throwing on some slacks should not more than a few minutes.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If its not a "formal" night, you can throw on a pair of dockers and a polo shirt, not a big deal either and go to the dining room??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Actually dress codes vary from cruise line to cruise line. Here is the dress code of princess.
Onboard Attire
Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. http://www.princess.com/learn/answer...eave/bring.jsp
There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.
Formal Evenings:

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Now my question for the group is if you have dressy jeans dark color and no holes wouldn't it be okay on Smart causal evenings?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Yes, according to their rules, nice jeans would be okay. I know, I know, that is not the case in true country club settings (although it is here in Florida), but each cruise line states the standard that they want. You should be fine.
Marty
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on 11 cruises with Princess, the most recent being November 2007, and jeans are all I wear on nonformal nights. I like black jeans because they look a little dressier, but blue is fine too. I know with the black jeans, you would practically have to be rubbing your hand up and down my pants to tell that they even are jeans. If someone wants to go to that extreme to see what material my pants are made of, then I think they have the problem, not me.

By the say, the Sapphire is my absolute favorite ship. You'll love her!
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Luv that might be fun to have the "maitre de" pet you to see what material your pants are made from.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Passenger

i don't know about princess' rules or how strict they are, but we were on HAL two years ago (and going again this july - woohoo!) and while their booklet said no jeans we wore jeans to the dining room almost every night...not torn or old faded ones but "nice" jeans and my husband would just wear a button down or polo shirt with them and no one said anything to us....
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
First Mate

I'm another guy who likes my jeans for casual evenings & have been wearing them for years on Princess. Nothing will be said unless they're really in sad condition.
ON formal evenings I just ware my suit with open shirt & no tie and again nothing will be said as long as you have a neat appearance.