Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default QM2 Dress code

Am I correct that during the day the dress code is elegant casual on the QM2, with formal attire in the evening for dinner on those specified evenings?
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Admiral

Hi there Mitzicat, the daytime wear is the same as you would expect to see on any cruiseline, shorts, tees, slacks, skirts, pumps etc.
Shorts aren't really the thing to wear if you are eating in the MDR at lunchtime, but for the excellent self-service stations they are more than acceptable - well unless it's snowing outside

As for the evenings, yes pretty formal most nights. If you are booked & take a look at the Voyage Personalizer at the bottom of the Cunard homepage, there is somewhere that tells you how many formal, semi formal and smart casual nights you will have - though I can never find it straight away

Hope this helps,

Alan
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

You will see a wide variety of daytime dress. Cunard's literature states that shorts are not acceptable in the main dining room at any time otherwise I would define daytime dress as clean and neat.
It also depends on the itinerary and where you are headed.
In the Caribbean I wear capris with a matching blouse or a summer dress.
On a transatlantic or a less than hot destination I wear slacks with a blouse and or a light jacket. Jeans are acceptable during the day. Some of the public areas can seem downright chilly so I generally add a light jacket or sweater to the wardrobe.
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks to you both for your replies.

It's a transatlantic cruise, so will be bringing long pants for sure! My husband, though he doesn't mind wearing his tux, will certainly be happy to know he can gravitate towards his wash and wear during the day
Old August 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

When are you sailing?
I leave in just over 6 weeks!
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We are leaving on August 28th - eastbound transatlantic. Our first cruise ever and we are quite excited!

Do you have any experience as to what sort of seas we will encounter this time of year?

Last edited by mitzicat; August 20th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is no predicting what the seas will be like. Most of my 9 transatlantics have been smooth. There were a few.......but the QM2 is built for ocean travel.
Have a wonderful trip and when you return please let me know what you think of her.
Linda
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hello again,

From our discussion when we left, we just finished our cruise yesterday. As to our experience, I have travelled across Europe, various places in the US and Hawaii and the voyage on QM2 is in my top three favorite experiences. It was amazing. The crew was excellent, the ship is beautiful and extremely clean and the views on deck, of the ocean, unforgettable. We had excellent weather, the first three days were sunny and quite hot, the evenings were clear with a full moon dancing on the water. Out of seven days, five were beautiful. In addition, one was overcast and one was rainy. Not too bad at all.

The was the first trip for my husband and I on any type of cruise (or crossing). Before we left, my husband was a bit grumbly as to what he was going to do, stuck on what he called "a boat" for seven days. About a half an hour after we embarked he was jumping around like a giddy idiot. Subsequently, I was brought a new brochure everyday by him so we could plan our next trip! He has now gone from saying we wouldn't be able to do another big trip again until the new year, to wanting to go on an eleven day cruise to the canaries in early December.

It was just perfect. No complaints.
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh dear You have Cunard-itis. There is only one cure, you have to keep booking more voyages. I guess that's why trip #12 is just 3 1/2 weeks away.
Thank you for posting and I'm so glad to hear you liked "my ship".

Linda
Old September 6th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Admiral

Hi Mitzicat, I would say welcome back, but I'm not sure you want to be back

Sounds like you both had a great time, and your comments paint a wonderful picture of the ocean views, especially at night.

have fun planning your next one, and may I suggest if you are looking at the Canaries/Atlantic Isles that you may want to consider looking at the sailings later in December that end up in Madeira (Funchal) for New Year's eve, the firework show across the island is amazing.

Here's to your next one

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam