Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Familiar Face

Default Looking for best way to get from Southampton to Stonehenge

We will be traveling aboard Queen Mary 2 in September and wish to go to Stonehenge upon our arrival in Southampton and then to a railroad station so that we may journey to Edinburgh. I am told that there are trains that bypass London at Bristol with a transfer at Birmingham. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can get from the pier in Southampton to Stonehenge and then to the Bristol station? Does anyone have the name (and contact info) of a reliable and safe private car that could pick us up in Southampton, take us to Stonehenge, wait while we tour the ruins and then transport us to Bristol or another station (even if we have to transfer in London)?
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Hi I am from the UK & I should know this but don't I have asked on my Facebook Cruise group if anyone can help... will let you know.
Old June 27th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Admiral

I have been advised this...
" It's fairly simple John. They can get a train from Southampton to Salisbury and take a tour from there and then a train from Salisbury through to Edinburgh. They would catch the train from Salisbury to Waterloo and then go through to Kings Cross on the underground and then on the train to Edinburgh. How practical any of that would be with luggage though I have no idea!"
OR they could do a Cunard excursion to Stonehenge and then take the train from Southampton on their return to Edinburgh (if Cunard run that trip - would be easier with the luggage!)
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you for your help. With luggage for an almost three week trip, the train from Southampton to Salisbury probably is not practical. A private car or limo. ( the car does not have to be fancy) would be the best way to go. I've already called Cunard and they said that since Southampton is a destination termination point, there,are no shore excursions or transportation to Stonehenge.
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriema2002 View Post
Thank you for your help. With luggage for an almost three week trip, the train from Southampton to Salisbury probably is not practical. A private car or limo. ( the car does not have to be fancy) would be the best way to go. I've already called Cunard and they said that since Southampton is a destination termination point, there,are no shore excursions or transportation to Stonehenge.
Hmm a few Cunard voyages finish in Hamburg now so maybe that is when they do trips. Maybe you could find some way of storing your luggage then doing a day trip to Stonehenge, return to Southampton then get the train onward...maybe have a room in a hotel for the night then travel on the next day?
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Hi oriema2002, have you considered transferring from Southampton to Salisbury for an overnight stay to explore that city as well?
You could then leave your luggage at the hotel and see Stonehenge in comfort.
For travelling from Salisbury to Edinburgh, as you thought you can avoid London, by taking a direct train to Bristol (Templmeads) in 1h30m. From there, trains run direct to Edinburgh every hour - but don't expect them to be cheap :o(

Another option which might be worth looking into is having visited Stonhenge, travelling back to Southampton Airport & catch a FlyBe (reasonable budget airline) flight to Edinburgh, they fly 4 times a day & take 1h30m. They will charge you extra for your luggage, but well worth a look.

If you need more details on these, or decide you want to find a taxi/private hire, then drop another line on the thread & we'll try & make some suggestions & get costs.

Have a great crossing,

Alan.
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old June 27th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
Hi oriema2002, have you considered transferring from Southampton to Salisbury for an overnight stay to explore that city as well?
You could then leave your luggage at the hotel and see Stonehenge in comfort.
For travelling from Salisbury to Edinburgh, as you thought you can avoid London, by taking a direct train to Bristol (Templmeads) in 1h30m. From there, trains run direct to Edinburgh every hour - but don't expect them to be cheap :o(

Another option which might be worth looking into is having visited Stonhenge, travelling back to Southampton Airport & catch a FlyBe (reasonable budget airline) flight to Edinburgh, they fly 4 times a day & take 1h30m. They will charge you extra for your luggage, but well worth a look.

If you need more details on these, or decide you want to find a taxi/private hire, then drop another line on the thread & we'll try & make some suggestions & get costs.

Have a great crossing,

Alan.
Was hoping you would see this Alan!!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:07 AM
Familiar Face

A private car or limo. the car does not have to be fancy would be the best way to go.
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Familiar Face

Contact the Eddie Manning's people, they are used to this …

www.limo.co.uk

… in a hire car you'll go from the pier in Southampton to Stonehenge, your driver will remain with the vehicle so your baggage is safe while sightseeing. Arrange with them for transport then to best train station to reach Edinburgh.