Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Euro-Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Euro-Cruise Lines The Cybercruises.com forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Passenger

Question Help first-timer choose itinerary

HELP WANTED

I know I want to either start or end in Rome and also visit Venice and Florence (Livorno) but definitely do not want to see anything east of Italy. It looks to me like all itineraries, no matter what cruise line I select, go east of Venice, not west, the direction I prefer. Is there any way to see both Venice and Western Europe in the same trip? I have already decided Crystal is my top preference, especially the Serenity, but worry I must have an open mind about both ships and ports of call. What am I supposed to do? I will not sail until 2012 because I am waiting for Mom to retire but want to make all decisions before she can book it.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Admiral

To really see the destinations in Europe that you want to see, and have plenty of time to enjoy them, you have to do a land vacation

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Familiar Face

I had the same problem. My solution was to fly into Venice and then fly to Barcelona (less than 100). Then fly out of Barcelona back to the states. I choose RCL Western Med that stops in Toulon and Nice, France and then Florence, Rome and Naples with one day at sea. I also looked at NCL but they cut out a port so you have 2 days at sea. I am interested in seeing Europe not so much in the Cruise Ship.

The flights are cheap enough in Europe that we considered doing 3 days in London, 2 days in Venice and then our cruise. We decided on 5 days in London with a day trip to Paris. The Eurostar only cost $108 roundtrip. I also looked into Eurorail Italy and 3 country pass but it was more expensive and I hate packing and unpacking, which my OCD makes a requirement at every hotel. You also spent a lot of time on trains. It takes about an hour to two to get anywhere in Europe by plane.

Tip when booking your flights which I did independently -- the flight from US To Venice and then Barcelona to US. If you try to do a 3 destination booking it raise the prices substantly -- $1000 or more and the one way flight from Venice to BCN is cheap. We ended up deciding to go to London and spend a week and then onto Barcelona. The flight from LCY to BCN was 124. My roundtrip ticket to and from DFW to LHR and then BCN to DFW was $1350. The cruise line wanted $1500. I think I got a great deal! I ended up using AA.com because my friend has perks like free luggage etc and she keep making rules like no more than 1 stop. She wanted nonstop but there are not any nonstop flights from BCN to DFW.
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPrincess View Post
HELP WANTED

I know I want to either start or end in Rome and also visit Venice and Florence (Livorno) but definitely do not want to see anything east of Italy. It looks to me like all itineraries, no matter what cruise line I select, go east of Venice, not west, the direction I prefer. Is there any way to see both Venice and Western Europe in the same trip? I have already decided Crystal is my top preference, especially the Serenity, but worry I must have an open mind about both ships and ports of call. What am I supposed to do? I will not sail until 2012 because I am waiting for Mom to retire but want to make all decisions before she can book it.
You can sail Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas out of Venice; it goes to Dubrovnik, Santorini, Corfu, and Kudiashi(Ephasus), great itinerary, beautiful islands; u could fly into Rome and spend a few days in Rome or Florence, then take train to Venice. My wife and I did this cruise in 09. We also did Best of Europe in 2010
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Hi

I know this year Hal's Nieuw Amsterdam has an itinerary that starts in Barcelons and ends in Venice.

JMHO, Rome from a cruise ship is not the best way - I think the port is 40 miles away.

As Manuel suggested, sometimes land is the best option.

Annie
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Royal Caribbean does off cruise/land vacation packages for Italy and Europe. U sail for a week and do land excursions for a week.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
Admiral

It seems there are many itineraries that depart from Barcelona or Southampton that don't go east of Venice - though you are really missing out if you don't.

Also, Costa has routes that navigate around Italy if that is your focus.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Admiral

I'm not sure what the issue is here but....A: Crystal's 2012 itineraries aren't even out and B: there's tons of cruises that do Western Med. and Venice.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to poftravel Send a message via MSN to poftravel Send a message via Yahoo to poftravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPrincess View Post
HELP WANTED

Hi there, you need to get a travel agent to assist you, it costs nothing more and you can have someone to get you the best possiable deals and advice !!!!
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The only drawback to Crystal (and there are not many) is that they only have 2 ships so you pretty much have to go with whatever they offer.