Old April 30th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Beginner

Default Transportation in Barcelona from airport to ship ??

What is the best and most reasonable way to travel from the airport at Barcelona to the cruise terminal for a RCC ship ?
The transportation provided by the cruise line is quite expensive so does this include extra conveniences ?

Thanks for any helpful hints.

Post Edited (05-30-04 17:55)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Default LONDON TO HARWICH TRANSPORTATION

We are taking an RCCL cruise from Harwich in June and have booked our own air transportation to arrive at Gatwick the day before the sailing. RCCL offers transfers from the airport to Harwich only if you arrive the day of the sailing. Could anyone please advise us of the easiest and least expensive way to get from Gatwick airport to Harwich? Thanks.

Post Edited (05-02-04 09:46)
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:50 PM
George S

Default Re: Transportation in Barcelona from airport to ship ??

Even though the transfers from the ship might be a bit more expensive, I would recommend using them in Barcelona rather than trying it on your own.

Reasons:

- the taxis at the airport are very small, 2 persons + luggage max
- If you arrive early at the cruise terminal, there really isn't any good place to stow your luggage.
- If you take the transfer, they'll be responsible for holding your luggage and you can take off to explore the city.
- Better yet, see if there is a combination transfer/tour of the city available. Sometimes they'll pick you up at the airport, take you around to see the sights and then drop you off at the pier.

Have fun. Barcelona is beautiful. Make sure you plan some time before or after the cruise to visit.
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:26 PM
sty39

Default Re: Re: Transportation in Barcelona from airport to ship ??

where in Barcelona does the ship tie up

we are flying in the day before departure and taking the train from the airport to a train station in Barcelona and staying at a hotel walking distance from the station
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Chris G

Default Re: Re: Re: Transportation in Barcelona from airport to ship

We are flying in to Barcelona also on the day before. We are staying at the Colon Hotel. How did you find out about the train from the airport? Do you no if it is far from the airport to the city center? We were going to take a cab, but now I am wondering if I should look into taking the train. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:49 PM
sty39

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Transportation in Barcelona from airport to

You can take both a train and a bus from the airport (they are under 5 euro) the airport is about 15 kilometers ( 10 miles) from the center of town - they take less than 30 min and they both come to Place De Catalunya which is in the center of Barcleona - I booked the Hotel Gran Ducat (3 star ) which is about 200 ft. from the place the bus and train let you off and 500ft from the main streef Rambla -

How did I find this - a great deal of internet searching with Google - looking at the airport and the city and asking for cheap hotels and e-mailing the hotels
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Beginner

Taxi should not be so expensive perhaps less than the amount of the cruise company.
Otherwise you have public transport/ rail or bus
If your take the train which lives twice an hour, you will be 15 minutes latest in the main rail station "SANTS" from there you could take the sub-way just to very near the port but because I suppose you will have luggage, it is better that you take a taxi, there are plenty just outside of the station building. You can also continue in the train one more stop until "PLAZA DE CATALUNYA" from there the taxi ride to the port is shorter than from SANTS but taxis have to be stopped in the street (usually no problem either)

The bus ride take you every 15 minutes from the Airport to Plaza de Espaņa, from there you can either take taxi or subway. Similar distance than from SANTS
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:47 PM
ade

good to hear your thoughts. We are doing cruiseon Celebrity 9/29/04 and staying an extra night before in Barcelona. Any recomms on what to see in 1/1/2 days!
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Cynthia

I always found ship transport very expensive I have an e-mail of a company which will help to arrange limo service in any ciy - it is:[email protected] their web site is www.flyingvisits.ie I personally just booked transport with them from Copenhagen airport to ship for 1/6th the price from cruise line - check it out!!!!!
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:31 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Transportation in Barcelona from airport to ship

Well, mainly you'll be trying to shake off your jet lag.

The best bet is the double decker open top city sightseeing busses. They're on-off, have narration, and you can buy a day ticket. There are two loops (Red and Blue, I think), and the ticket is good for both. You can do them both in one day if you don't get on and off too many times. Do your homework and pick a couple places you really want to see, and get off the busses only at those places. This will give you an overview plus a look at your "first choice" attractions.
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Beth Appel

We arrived in Barcelona three days before our cruise last October -- stayed at the Hotel Colon. We had taxiinternacional pick us up at the airport and it was wonderful. There were four of us and cruise luggage. He packed everything into a beautiful Mercedes van and took us to the hotel, explaining what we were seeing along the way. I don't remember the cost, but it was reasonable, maybe 40 Euro? And I think we tipped him 10 Euro. (Total, not per couple). We had the same company pick us up at the hotel to take us to the pier, but somehow the communication got lost, because he didn't have a big van, he complained about the luggage, and he didn't get tipped so well. I'm not 100% sure it was taxiinternacional and not someone the hotel called, since it didn't seem the same, so I still give high marks to ti. You can find them on their website: www.taxiinternacional.com

We also took the double-decker bus since we arrived early and couldn't get in our rooms, so we had a coffee & bagel kitty corner (to the left and across) from the Hotel Colon (great food) and took the bus all around the red line I think. We bought a two day pass so we could take it the next day. It isn't the most efficient way to get around, but it was fun. And always always always use the front stairs to go up and the back stairs to go down. You'll understand when you are there!
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM
adam childs

we will be on the cruise september 30th from barcelona and are arriving on the 29th. That way we can rest up before the cruise ---barcelona is a grand city ---get a city guide I recommend the dk guide you can get it at www.dk.com they are great and you can figure out what you want to do before you go. Another great thing to do is get a book on the history of Barcelona this also gives you interesting facts and fun things to see.
Old July 24th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Passenger

We used cabs. There are the most convenient and cheaper than transfers.