Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Jacquelyn

Default ADVENTURES OF THE SEA

My husband and I are taking our 2 children and 3 of their friends on the Adv. of the Seas. I want to make sure their friends have a very memorable vacation. My kids have cruised several times and its not big deal. I would like some excursions the kids would enjoy. They all like the water. I wants something interesting. Ages are 16 to 17.

St. Lucia
St. Thomas
St. Maarten
Antigua
Barbados

PS - NO NUDITY
My daughter refuses to go back to Mexico because of topless women
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Luisa

Default Re: ADVENTURES OF THE SEA

Jacquelyn:
Your kids will love the Adventure of the Seas. My nine year old daughter has been on 12 cruises yet the AOS last year was her favorite -- fun youth counselors, great rock climbing wall, excellent ice show, etc.
As for shore excursions, you may want to read the article I wrote on this site called "Back to the Beach" which lists family friendly beaches in the Caribbean.
Feel free to ask any add'l questions.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old February 11th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Jacquelyn

Default Re: Re: ADVENTURES OF THE SEA

Here are the excursions we are thinking about doing. Pleas give me your opinion.

Antigua
Stingray Swim and Snorkel
4 x4 off road Jungle Tour
Dolphin Swim-I an not sure this is worth the money. On another cruise all you could do was stand there as they swam by and touched them. That is not what my daughter wants to do. She wants to work with dolphins when she graduates so I want a real good experience. She can pet her dog at home for free if that is all we get.

Barbados
Five Star Catamaran and Turtle Encounter
Scorkel-My family as done this before in Cozumel

St. Maarten
Some kind of Snorkel and Beach-any suggestion is appreciated

St. Thomas
BOB
Parasail
Beach???Which one would you suggest

St. Lucia
Deep Sea Fishing
Full Day Beach and Snorkel

Any other suggestions that you thing would be good I would greatly appreciate. I do not know anything about these islands, so I do not have a clue what is best to do where. We don't want to wait til we get on the ship to purchase the excursions.
4x4 Off-Road Adventure and Hike
Old February 12th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: ADVENTURES OF THE SEA

couple of suggestions - St.Marteen - stay away from Orient Beach - clothing optional. Hit the beachs on the Dutch side - its the french beaches that are clothing optional.
St. Thomas - beach - go over to St. John's Island - beautiful beaches- good snorkeling.
Old February 13th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Luisa

Jacquelyn:
Here are some more ideas: Antigua and St. Lucia are really beautiful islands and thus I suggest hopping in a cab to either the Rex St. Lucian hotel or Halcyon Cove Hotel in Antigua and enjoy the lovely beaches and watersports there. It'll save you lots of money compared to a purchased shore excursion and we LOVED these pretty beaches.
In St. Thomas, you may want to go on a purchased shore excursion to Trunk Bay in St. John. Gorgeous water and great snorkeling trail. Since you have to take a ferry and jeep to St. John, I'd suggest purchasing the excursion through the cruise line.
In my "Back to the Beach" article, I mention some beaches in St. Maarten that do not have nudity. (Avoid the French side of the island where nudity on beaches is more prevalent.)
Feel free to ask any add'l questions.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Passenger

I work for a US coroporation and my territory is the Eastern Caribbean.
Your children are going to have a blast as the countries you are visiting offer a wide variety of places to have a great time.

My absolute favorite is St. Lucia. Don't miss the Pitons - beautiful volcanos. Hike the rainforest and visit the sulfer springs. The photographs you can take on that side of the island are spectacular. There are katmaran sail tours that re so much fun for all ages as well.
Great dining in Rodney Bay in St. Lucia and lots of night life too!
You will not find nudity or toplessness in St. LUcia - it's a very catholic country.

St. Maarten has some of the best restaurants and shopping in the Caribbean. They also offer SNUBA which is a safe and easy way to learn to scubadive in a controlled environment. Kids will love that. Stay away from Orient beach to avoid the nudity.

Barbados is huge with great great beaches and depending on the night you are there - dance clubs right on the beach which your teens will love.

Antigua is very rural and rustic with lots of cows and sheep in the roads. Also gorgeous beaches but topless is allowed on many of them.

Hope this helps. Have a great time!
Old April 12th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Passenger

My family is going on the same cruise. When are you going? If you've already gone, did you like it? How was the teen program?
Old April 16th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Gaborn65

We leave May 25th. I just returned from a 4 day cruise over spring break. I told my husband that was a big mistake. Before we left I was ok with the wait for this cruise, now I am counting the days down til we leave. This is going to be the longest 6 weeks of my life.
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:20 AM
alexb

In St. Maarten You may wish to consider Caribbean Duck Tours- This new excursion is offering a children free progam this spring/summer. www.caribbeanducktours.com For more information and restrictions please email me directly- Thanks Alex
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Passenger

I'm going on the same ship. When are you going?
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Gaborn65

May 25, 2003. Only 6 more days. We leave Sat. morning and are staying at the Caribe Hilton.