Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default My 1st cruise

I am going on my 1st cruise and i have read on here to make sure you use you luggage locks and for added security put cable ties on your bags.

Question if i do all this and they are now searching bags are they going to break my locks and all or do they just have dogs sniff them??

This is for my checked luggage. Also do they search you personaly when you go onboard?

Like with a metal scanner or what, i have never flown and this is my 1st cruise so i am wondering, I want to take nail clippers to cut off the cable ties but don't want them to take them from me? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
Admiral

You don't need cable ties. We've traveled all over the world and have never needed them.

When your check your bags at the airport, they will go through an x-ray machine. If they see something that looks suspicious, they will unlock your luggage locks and check it out. They will lock them when they're done. Just make sure you don't put anything of any value (like a computer, camera, etc.) in your suitcase.

You will go through airport security and that will include a metal detector and/or a scanner. The only time they will personally search you is if you have something on you that would set it off. Just make sure you put everything in your purse or backpack and don't carry items that are not allowed, such as a knife.

When you check in at the pier for your cruise, your luggage will again go through an x-ray machine. If they see something that is questionable, they will not open your bags, but will ask you to come down and open it in front of them. And as with the airport, you and your carry-on luggage will go through scanners, but again, you will not be personally searched unless you set the machine off.

Talk with your agent and they can provide more exact information and answer any of your questions you may have.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

People use the cable ties when they are using older luggage, that aren't equipped with TSA approved locks (if they are TSA approved locks, they can open them with their keys) If they do open your luggage they will leave a card saying it has been opened.

The cable ties used on older luggage, without those locks, are so you can leave the luggage unlocked, but with the ties to secure them. If the TSA does want to check your luggage, they will cut the ties. But won't have to break your lock.

You certainly don't need to use cable ties AND to lock your luggage, if it has the TSA approved locks.

Of course this applies only to airports, if you're flying. At the port you can lock your luggage before checking it, as no one will open it without you present.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM
First Mate

I have never used locks on my luggage, and I have never had anything stolen. That may be because I never put anything of significant value in my checked luggage; it goes with me in a carry-on. However, I have seen other people's bags come off the baggage chute with a zipper pulled open, and for that reason I pull the two zipper tabs together and secure them that way with a simple twist tie.