Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Best way to take spending money

Hi

I have just joined this forum and am from England, so don't know if anyone can help me please?

We are going on a Caribbean cruise at the end of January and visiting the following islands:

Barbados, Aruba, Curacao, Magarita Island (Venezuela), Grenada, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten, British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Dominica and back to Barbados.

I have two questions really:

1) Which currency is the best to use? Will all of these islands accept the US dollar?

2) What is the best way to take currency, cash or dollar travellers cheques?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
Hi

I have just joined this forum and am from England, so don't know if anyone can help me please?

We are going on a Caribbean cruise at the end of January and visiting the following islands:

Barbados, Aruba, Curacao, Magarita Island (Venezuela), Grenada, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten, British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Dominica and back to Barbados.

I have two questions really:

1) Which currency is the best to use? Will all of these islands accept the US dollar?

2) What is the best way to take currency, cash or dollar travellers cheques?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
All of these islands will accept US dollars and that is the best currency to use.

In your case I would take US dollar Travelers Checks. You can cash them on board the ship and not have to worry about the ATM fee. If you are sailing on a US based cruise line (not P&O) there will be an ATM on board, that dispenses US dollars, if you wish to use it but there is usually a $5/transaction fee. If you are sailing on P&O I'm not sure what the currency will be. US dollars or UK pounds.

Have a great cruise. Your itinerary is a great one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Admiral

If you have a moment on land before boarding your cruise, I would get cash from an ATM. The exchange rate will be the one banks use not the currency exchange folks. See if you have a credit card that does not charge a fee for foreign transactions if you think you might make any larger purchases.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
If you have a moment on land before boarding your cruise, I would get cash from an ATM. The exchange rate will be the one banks use not the currency exchange folks. See if you have a credit card that does not charge a fee for foreign transactions if you think you might make any larger purchases.
The embarkation and disembarkation port is Barbados. The ATM's there will dispense Barbados Dollars. Not too much help.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me