Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Captain

Default Movies......On Board??

Do you go to the theater to watch movies? Enjoy them on TV in your cabin? Not take the time to watch a movie while cruising? Too many other things to do?
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Never go to the movie theatre on board, but do watch the odd movie at night after getting into bed - usually fall asleep before it's over.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Never go to the movie theatre on board, but do watch the odd movie at night after getting into bed - usually fall asleep before it's over.
No need to add anything more

There is just too much to do on board a ship to sit in the dark...unless it is with a special guy and it's on our balcony Haven't ever looked into the theater...are they large? Are first-run movies on tap?
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I absolutely LOVE the movie theaters on the Holland America ships, they are on the S-class and the R-class, but unfortunately not on the newer Vista class.

On the ships with the Wajang (movie) Theater, you can get fresh popcorn from a popper right outside and an espresso from the coffee bar and walk in and sit in a regular theater-style seat and watch a recently released movie. OK, the screen is small, like those crackerbox theaters they used to build in the 80s, but still, if you sit up front it is great.

I also like to watch movies in my cabin, cruises are a time to unwind for me and that is a great way to do it. If I am in the mood to relax, a movie on the TV with a little room service yogurt (or a bowl of ice cream brought from the ice cream bar in the buffett area) is perfect. Yum, I can't wait to go back.
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will sometimes watch a movie in my cabin. I attempted to go to one of their "movies in the show lounge" twice. It was terrible. The sound was so tinny and echoing everywhere. Never again. I think it was stupid to attempt it in a room made to reflect sound not absorb it.
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I absolutely LOVE the movie theaters on the Holland America ships, they are on the S-class and the R-class, but unfortunately not on the newer Vista class.

On the ships with the Wajang (movie) Theater, you can get fresh popcorn from a popper right outside and an espresso from the coffee bar and walk in and sit in a regular theater-style seat and watch a recently released movie.
Sorry, Paul. No more coffee bar outside the Wajang. The bar has been replaced by a Wine Bar, so if you want an espresso or cappuccino you will have to get it from the Explorations cafe where there is a charge. Now if you are in a Suite then you can get one there and take it with you to the theatre.
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Captain

Java Cafes no longer exist on HAL ships. When each ship went in for their SOE upgrades (Signature of Excellence), the Java Cafes were converted as described above to Wine Bars.

The coffees in the Explorations Cafe (which carry a very moderate charge) are Excellent IMO. They have a large variety and nice sweets to choose from to enjoy with your coffee. I had the best iced coffee ever from Explorations on Maasdam last summer. Looking forward to more this June/August when we return.

They still have the fresh popcorn for the movies though. We sometimes stop by just to pick up a bag of popcorn to snack on.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Beginner

We love to watch the movies while we are on the ship. Most of the time we watch them in our room. While we are having breakfast or getting ready for the evening. It is very relaxing and a way to catch up on movies that have not been out that long.
On our trip in January we had to go to the front desk to get the daily TV schedule of movies. Usually you find that in the book on the desk but it was not there. No one seemed to have one. I am sure the newbies wondered what movie were they watching.
Carole
Old February 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, you guys are right about the coffee bar, I forgot it had been replaced. Thanks for the update!
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

I think I attended one movie onboard in the Wajang. And maybe I've watched pieces of a few more on the stateroom TV. While a good movie can be enjoyable, I can do that here at home. I can't watch the sea roll by from my house. So onboard movies are certainly not my priority while cruising.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Admiral

I never watched a movie onboard ship until my last cruise. I sailed with a friend whose idea of an ideal cruise was to rest and relax. Duh ... what didn't I realize that before? Instead of running herself ragged everyday, she liked to carve out nice blocks of time to just rest and relax ... and enjoy the shipboard life. Part of that was watching all the movies she never got a chance to see all year at home. We went to the theater to see Cars, and then watched a whole bunch of movies on the cabin TV.

I actually enjoyed it and was sorry I had never done this before. I am looking forward to more of the same on my upcoming cruise in April, where we have seven sea days before hitting our first port. Gotta love those TransAtlantics.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:02 PM
First Mate

I agree with Paul. We thoroughly enjoy the Wajang Theatres on the R & S class ships, but the Queen's Lounge on the Vistas is a very, very poor place to try to watch a movie. Another reason to stay away from the Vistas
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Admiral

I just gotta share a story.
My dad was transferred to Europe when I was six years old (1965).

We crossed the Atlantic on the SS United States. This ship held the record at the time for the speediest crossing.

Well, I didn't really have any one my age to play with so I went to the theater. The first movie I saw was "The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie"...and the scene where she was posing on the couch. BARE breast!!! OMG!!!
I was in that theater for 14 hours a day after that until we docked...just waiting for another glimpse.

Three years later on the way home...same ship...same theater...same kid glued to the screen.