Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Default Women Raped by crew member

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Trip; February 18th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Unbelievable - why do people think they are safe on a ship. No more safe there than anywhere else.

I know everyone says lock all doors but apparently this guy was already in her room when she returned so locking the door/deadbolt wouldn't have helped.

He then tried to throw her over the side of the ship.

Damn scary. Parents better learn to hang on to their children as well.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Captain

My question..... Why would a server have a master key? Was he the room steward also?

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Such an awful story and I feel very badly for the woman. This was a nude cruise and tho some people may say that's irrelevant, I think that some young men can't handle it. Does it make them violent? No, not necessarily, but I don't know why Holland America would charter cruises like this. People will question the judgement of HAL in the long run. The employee was clearly a person with criminal tendancies. Premeditated, no less.
Old February 19th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Aerogirl, I cleaned up this thread and deleted your posts that were referring to another post that was also deleted, since it was a bit confusing.

The room service stewards have master keycards so they can enter cabins to leave food and beverage items if the guest is not there. If you've ever returned to your cabin and found a bottle of wine or a plate of canapes or strawberries, they were left there by a room service attendant. They are also usually responsible for mini-bars and keeping them stocked and charging for items used.
Old February 19th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Admiral

I have no doubt the guy's court appointed attorney will make a production out of the 'nude cruise' angle, in an effort to mitigate what he or she can as far as the guy's sentence. He already admitted his guilt to the FBI, but that doesn't mean a plea of guilty will be entered when he goes before the judge.
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

FYI, room service attendants and room service persons do not ordinarily have a master key to the cabins. Once that dead bolt is locked, only a ship's officer can open it. This does not apply to this case since the young woman was out of her cabin and obviously unable to apply the dead bolt until she was back in the cabin.
So, if you are in your cabin, and use the dead bolt, you are safe from any intrusion from personnel other than ship's officers.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My guess is that to a crew member from a nation where people do not do things like run around naked such a woman would be regarded as "easy" and so he thought he could get away with whatever he tried.

I don't now - I am just saying cultural differences lead to such incidents. Not excusable, of course. Just trying to understand a sad situation.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Admiral

I just checked Google to get an update on this guy. He confessed to doing everything alleged by the victim, then on March 5 he pleaded not guilty at his initial court hearing. Nothing more about the case after March 5 so I assume he is still in jail and the trial is a while from happening.
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Where is the information that this was a "nude" cruise? I did not see any mention of that in the article, maybe I missed it. And even if it was, I would not want to suggest that it could be a mitigating factor in this guy's decision to do what he did. To me, that is "blaming the victim". Same as when people try to blame the victim for wearing "sexy" clothing, making it her fault, not his. Maybe someday our society will get beyond this.

Rape is not an act of passion, it is an act of violence born out of anger and aggression toward women. The man admitted that this woman said something construed by him as being insulting. I have read elsewhere that he followed her about the ship afterward, wanting to confront her, but could not find an opportunity. So after seething for hours, he eventually hid on her balcony and waited. He definitely has some mental health issues.

After hearing about this months ago, I swore I would never go to sleep again with my balcony door open or unlocked. Just in case there is a serial killer in the next cabin. This point was brought home to me even more so on our recent Getaway cruise, when we found the balcony divider door open and swinging in the breeze. We tried to close it, but couldn't. Finally used an ink pen in the hole. Those doors close and OPEN quite easily with a pen. So anyone with a pen can access your balcony, and cabin, if your slider is unlocked. So, now I never leave the cabin without locking the sliding door. Never really bothered before.

I wonder if this accounts for the occasional report of a cell phone, laptop or whatever missing from a cabin. The steward usually gets the blame, unfortunately.
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Admiral

In other news reports about the crime it was identified as a Bare Necessities nudist charter cruise.
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
In other news reports about the crime it was identified as a Bare Necessities nudist charter cruise.
Ah. But I still say, are we going to say to the Judge or jury, "Well, you should cut the defendant some slack because, after all, the victim was on a Nude Cruise and was therefore fair game?" Not saying this is your way of thinking, but "just say'in".

I guess this touched a nerve because of the very recent case of Dallas Judge Jeanine Howard regarding a 14 year old female student raped by a 20 year old classmate. This is not a situation where a young adult and a minor were having consensual sex and he was charged with statutory rape. He confessed that it was indeed rape. Although the max sentence was up to 20 years, the judge gave him 5 years deferred adjudication Probation and 45 DAYS in jail for this rape. She cited the fact that the victim had been sexually active and even pregnant prior to the rape. She also, incredibly, ordered the man to do community service at a rape counseling center,, although she ordered NO counseling for the man himself.. She later recused herself from the case after the backlash from the public.
Old May 16th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Rape is a crime of Violence, Aggression and Power not about wanting sex.

If it were about a man wanting sex there would be rapes onboard everyday on all ships. And the spring break cruises with the gals in skimpy bikinis and cleavage hanging out then Rapes would occur by the hundreds.

I was talking to a crew member on Freedom OTS about these nude cruises since Freedom has had them in the past and he told me the crew has a choice of getting off the ship and staying at a hotel for the week if they don't want to work the Nude cruise. Very little do take the week off since they miss out on a paycheck.

He also mentioned that most of the cruisers on these nude cruises are cruisers you don't want to see nude. And it is really gross.

So it's not Male models and Victoria Secret models running around naked it's the total opposite.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas