Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Familiar Face

Default Boarding time question from 1 st time cruiser

My ticket shows "BOARDING TIME: All Guests must be on board the ship no later than 2 hours prior to the departure time noted on these documents or they will not be permitted to sail.". Is that true we won't be able to check in if we arrive within 2 hours prior to the departure time? Things happen like delayed flight or traffic. I have done online pre-registration already.
Ship: NCL Majesty
Time: 02/21/09
Any ideas from experienced cruisers? Thanks in advance.

-ER
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Captain

Plan to get there a little earlier. They normally start boarding at noon. The reason for that 2 hour rule is the government requires a final manafest of all passengers onboard one hour before the ship can sail.

If you arrive a little after 2 pm no big deal. If you arrive after 3 pm you may face issues unless there are a number of passegers with NCL air delayed as well. If the last passenger is onboard at 4pm the ship can not sail until 5pm. They are not going to hold up all the other passengers for just you.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks a lot. We are a group of 6 and the arrival time is scheduled to be 11:35am. Hopefully the airplane will take off and get to CHS on time. Otherwise it is gonna be a terrible memory for a first time cruiser .
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Admiral

well, it is always a good idea to arrive a day ahead of time, this way you do not have to worry. As for the 2 hour rule, if you are pre-registered and eveything is in order, 1 hour is fine, but absolutely you must be finished checking in 1 hour prior to sailing, there are NO EXCEPTIONS. I would suggest, if you can't fly in a day early you had better make sure you have a flight that will arrive early or mid morning. If driving allow an extra few hours. If you are not at the pier in time, this isn't the cruise companies fault...and, yes, particularly this time of year flights are often delayed or even cancelled.

Nita
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.R.
Thanks a lot. We are a group of 6 and the arrival time is scheduled to be 11:35am. Hopefully the airplane will take off and get to CHS on time. Otherwise it is gonna be a terrible memory for a first time cruiser .
If you are delayed make sure you call and let them know you are on the way. It may help.

Flight Assistance Hotline
If your flight is changed or a weather-related delay leaves you stuck while you're traveling the first thing you should do is immediately advise an airline representative at the airport that you are a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line, and you are on your way to join our cruise ship. After you learn your new flight arrangements, please contact NCL's Flight Assistance Hotline listed below.

Phone
1.800.456.7179 or 1.305.468.2029

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yeoman

Flying in the day of your cruise? In winter? I hope you bought the insurance.

When we sailed to Bermuda from Charleston the ship was two hours late returning from the previous cruise so traffic backed up everywhere. We parked our car at Harris Teeter went in and bought bought some champagne and orange juice and had mimosas in the parking lot while we waited for traffic to clear (we could see the entrance from the grocery store).
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for your info.
I called the airline agency and it seems not a good idea to modify the flight intinerary. So the best solution for me might be getting insurance. The crusie.com where I booked the cruise quoted $177 for 3 people. Wonder if there are any other places with better rates.
With the insurance, if we miss the embarkation, does the insurance company make arrangement to send us to the next stop an cover the whole expense?
Thanks again.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jdolphins68
Default hello

ER when are you flying into Charleston? Where are you flying from?

We are taking the March 21 flight.

Jackie

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Familiar Face

We r flying from Detroit to CHS on Feb 21st.
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jdolphins68
Default great

Well have a good time, we are going 3 weeks after you get back. Let me know how it was and I am looking forward to some pics.

I want to see a smaller inside room and then see if those other bigger rooms are really worth anything else.

Have a wonderful time.

Jackie

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.R.
We r flying from Detroit to CHS on Feb 21st.
Oh my, you REALLY should have come the day before. I hope you all make it.
as for insurance don't buy that from the cruisline or the agency, try insuremytrip.com where you can compare various policies for the one you need with the coverages you are most concerned with. At this point you won't be able to get any with Pre existing condition waiver but I assume that the trip delay rather than the other is your main concern at the moment though the Medical and evac insurance are at least as important.
Good luck.

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Oreodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.r. View Post
my ticket shows "boarding time: All guests must be on board the ship no later than 2 hours prior to the departure time noted on these documents or they will not be permitted to sail.". Is that true we won't be able to check in if we arrive within 2 hours prior to the departure time? Things happen like delayed flight or traffic. I have done online pre-registration already.
Ship: Ncl majesty
time: 02/21/09
any ideas from experienced cruisers? Thanks in advance.

-er
just make it a priority to be on time and you will have no worries. Plan ahead ! Plan wise
Old July 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
Banned
Captain

I always arrive a day early...why would anyone chance missing the ship ?