Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

DV....

I met another guy who said the same - they booked the studio as a couple and were called and offered a free upgrade.

Makes me wonder if i should have listened to that phone message from my NCL personal vacation planner

But I think my travel agent would have told me if they offered me an upgrade, right?
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Wink

well, it is disappointing, not that the single cabins do not look out onto the lounge, but that the promo information said that they do. It makes me wonder if there are several mis- statements about the ship.

I do like to walk the deck. Is there a deck or two suitable for this? probably couldn't walk the entire ship at once-- it is so large.!

If there are virtually no closets in the small (single) cabin, what does one do on a 2 week cruise for storage?

Also is there a way to refill water bottles every day with drinking water? I use a lot of it and do not like being charged for every sip. How easy is it to get ice?

Have you found out the quality of the food since the ship has now been in service awhile? It didn't sound so great from the first review.

Are you able to find out if the embarkation has been streamlined a bit?

I have made a down payment on a Nov. cruise Not too sure this is for me.

Is there a library?

Thanks in advance. I know I have asked a lot.

Last edited by fallsfoster; July 7th, 2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: add library question
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

well, it is disappointing, not that the single cabins do not look out onto the lounge, but that the promo information said that they do. It makes me wonder if there are several mis- statements about the ship.

I plan to do a more thorough article for solo cruisers soon. They don't look out into the lounge and it is not a keyed lounge either, but it did not matter to me. I would have liked them to look into the lounge, but the truth is everyone just kept the window shut all the time anyway. If you want to see who mayu be going into the lounge there are a couple of studios right next to the lounge.

I do like to walk the deck. Is there a deck or two suitable for this? probably couldn't walk the entire ship at once-- it is so large.

There is a promenade and a jogging track on deck 7 - a little hard to see behind the lifeboats but still there.

If there are virtually no closets in the small (single) cabin, what does one do on a 2 week cruise for storage?

They provide a LOT of hangers - 20 or so. There is actually plenty of storage, just not drawers. There are shelves and even two huge baskets that fit under the bed. Not a problem really.

Also is there a way to refill water bottles every day with drinking water? I use a lot of it and do not like being charged for every sip. How easy is it to get ice?

Yes, in the Lounge or upstairs in the buffet. I did this too and it is a great idea. I never did this before.

Have you found out the quality of the food since the ship has now been in service awhile? It didn't sound so great from the first review.

I'm sorry, I thought I had said the food was very good all along. You will enjoy the food, I gurantee it.

Yes, in New York they hired extra people and it was much better. Southampton taught them a lesson, I believe.

Are you a solo cruiser? I believe you will enjoy it then. Be sure and let us know!

Is there a library?

No. And the television is pretty boring, too. The best thing is meeting new people and hanging out with them. Bring your own books. At least the TVs are nice sized and if you bring some DVDs and a laptop you could probably play them on it.

Old July 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

I plan to do a more thorough article for solo cruisers soon. They don't look out into the lounge and it is not a keyed lounge either, but it did not matter to me. I would have liked them to look into the lounge, but the truth is everyone just kept the window shut all the time anyway. If you want to see who mayu be going into the lounge there are a couple of studios right next to the lounge.

I do like to walk the deck. Is there a deck or two suitable for this? probably couldn't walk the entire ship at once-- it is so large.

There is a promenade and a jogging track on deck 7 - a little hard to see behind the lifeboats but still there.

They provide a LOT of hangers - 20 or so. There is actually plenty of storage, just not drawers. There are shelves and even two huge baskets that fit under the bed. Not a problem really.

Yes, in the Lounge or upstairs in the buffet. I did this too and it is a great idea. I never did this before.

I'm sorry, I thought I had said the food was very good all along. You will enjoy the food, I gurantee it.

Yes, in New York they hired extra people and it was much better. Southampton taught them a lesson, I believe.

Are you a solo cruiser? I believe you will enjoy it then. Be sure and let us know!

Is there a library?

No. And the television is pretty boring, too. The best thing is meeting new people and hanging out with them. Bring your own books. At least the TVs are nice sized and if you bring some DVDs and a laptop you could probably play them on it.

Thank you for all the answers! And for the promptness. I read there are virtually no closets so I didn't think about other kinds of storage. Also, I have since read that the food is very good. I missed that the first time around. So glad about filling the water jugs.

a new question: I like a glass of joice and coffee before I face the world. Would room service be prompt with that--and how much to tip?( There are no coffee makers in cabins are there?)

Also, how does one get ice? Is there some in the lounge that guests may help themselves to?

Again, Thank you,
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
a new question: I like a glass of joice and coffee before I face the world. Would room service be prompt with that--and how much to tip?( There are no coffee makers in cabins are there?)
No - they do not put coffeee makers in the studio staterooms, but they do in the regular cabins.

Yes, you can order room service in the studio stateroom - just like any other cabin. You even get breakfast cards you can hang on the door the night before and have your breakfast delivered the next day at the time you specify.

Also, how does one get ice? Is there some in the lounge that guests may help themselves to?

You cannot access the ice in the lounge unless the bartender is there (about 11:00 am to 7:00 pm). Your room steward WILL leave you ice in the bucket in your room. He should check it regularly, but if it is empty and you want to make sure it gets filled just leave it out.

Room stewards come on duty in the mornings and during dinner - in case you didnt know. They watch to see when you are out so they can go in and clean the room.

Again, Thank you,
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Passenger

again thanks. I just found info on the deck plan (Vacations to go, whom I booked with) that studios are only on level 12, right?

It lists refrigerator (which I would love!) and a coffee maker. Is this just wrong info? It is frustrating to find that things listed are not true.

If I do have to order coffee, do I tip the steward right then? How much please?
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsfoster View Post
again thanks. I just found info on the deck plan (Vacations to go, whom I booked with) that studios are only on level 12, right?

It lists refrigerator (which I would love!) and a coffee maker. Is this just wrong info? It is frustrating to find that things listed are not true.

Studios are on decks 11 and 12.
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsfoster View Post

Great that breakfast can be brought in! Is this covered in the tip at the end of the cruise, or do I tip for this breaksfast or coffee.?
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Right, in fact 11 is a little better because that is the level of the living room, but not a big difference.

Many tip $1 for room service, but it is not mandatory. The servers do not stand there with their hands out.
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Beginner

I am also sailing on July 24th and this is truly going to be an experience for me. I have been in outside cabins with balconys on my prior cruises. I am cruising alone on this one and a little nervous about the size of the room, but just like cruzinsolo indicated, I'm looking to enjoy this entire ship for 7 days and only use the room, to complete the 3 S's. I can't wait!!!!
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Passenger

Default Epic Nov 27, 2010

cannot confirm (have conflicting reports) that studios have refrigerator. Can you find out for me Please?
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Default Epic Studio Staterooms

I am single and booked this for 4/9/2011; and, yes, it does look like a European hotel; how much different are these rooms as the single on the Oasis of the seas? There is too much to see and do on this ship, why would anyone want to sit in their room all day anyway. Can't wait to hit all the new restaurants, and I don't mind paying the service charge for them; I did on the Dawn and was happy. Just hope there are good reviews from past travelers.
NCL Dawn, 2004
NCL Spirit, 2004
NCL Norway, 2000
Inspiration, 2008
Voyager of the Seas, Med 10/11/09
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There is a single cabin on Oasis of the Seas?
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Passenger

I have read throughout this site and others that NCL allows smoking in all regular staterooms on the EPIC which I find ridiculous in this day and age. I am a non smoker and was thinking of booking on one of the studio staterooms but if they allow smoking in those tiny rooms - I can just imagine the residual cigarrete smoke stench on everything as time goes by on this ship - I will simply not book on NCL if this is the case. Do you know if they allow smoking in studio cabins?