Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Need help with Norwegian Cruise Line

I became ill and had to leave the ship and return home on new years eve (2013). So when I went to fill my insurance claim, I was told by the Norwegin that only half of my trip was insured. I told the agent that I want trip insurance and he only insured the firt leg of my trip through the Med. I was to do the first leg from De. 28 thorugh Jan 8 and the second leg from the 8th through the 19th(2014) Now I am at fault because I did not check the email that was sent when I signed up. I do not know how to proceed. Can any one help? John Warner
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
Admiral

When you say 'your agent', is this the NCL agent or an independent travel agent? Who is your insurance through; the cruise line or an independent insurance company?

Can you provide more information on the 'legs' you're referring to? Where you on a cruise tour or a back-to-back cruise?

When you requested insurance, do you have documentation that shows you specifically requested it for the whole trip or for any particular dates?

This will help me respond to some of your questions and perhaps offer some advice on the matter.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

wow thats a bum deal if he has to pay for the flight home and only gets half a cruise back; hope he has some documentation.
Old March 19th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well, the guy never came back to get an answer, so... I am guessing he figured something out or gave up.

I know what Pete would have said - ANOTHER (truly) good reason to use an independent travel agent whose job it is to make sure you get all of the details right - and who also KEEPS separate documentation of every transaction you make - because it is their job to do that.

The first guy admitted he only bought insurance for the part of the cruise he completed, and not for the part he missed. I think in the end, no matter what, even Judge Judy would say "you expect to get something for nothing? - that isn't how life works, mister!"

Old March 19th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Can any one help? John Warner
But then again, the guy was a US Senator, so I guess he feels "entitled."

Old March 19th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Obviously, I'm going to agree with everything you said, Paul.

The guy never came back to answer any of our questions so we could help him, so I can only guess he found out he wasn't covered and that was that.

And yes, I will always say to book with an agent, but I'll also say that the independent insurance is almost always better than that offered by the cruise lines. But don't assume that when looking at independent travel insurance that 'big name' is always the 'best buy'. As you know, I'm an agent with Cruise Planners and at one time we were selling travel insurance through 5 different companies. We ended up firing 3 of them because their customer service was not up to what we wanted for our clients. And these were some of the biggest names in the industry! After getting down to 2 companies, Cruise Planners finally decided to write their own policy and let the remaining companies bid on providing it at a good cost. This policy is only available through Cruise Planners, so our corporate office made sure it has limits and coverages that we wanted because they realized how important travel insurance is and how much people rely on it.

So best advice when looking for a good policy, talk to your agent, get a copy of the policy, and make sure to read it before purchasing to insure you know what it covers and what it doesn't cover. Your agent will have a good working relationship with one or two companies that they feel comfortable with and know their product, so their feedback and experience can be invaluable.

But the three things I stress the most is:

1) Always purchase travel insurance! You hope it's a waste of your money, because if you need it, it's usually not for a good reason - I know about this from firsthand experience. We purchase it for all our trips and have never really needed it, but when we did, I was really glad we had it or we would have lost over $4000!.

2) When purchasing the insurance, do so before final payment has been made. Often the policies will have a caveat that pre-existing conditions will not be covered if purchased after final payment has been made. Also, you will not be covered for a situation that is known before you buy it, such as a hurricane. Once it becomes a 'named' storm, you will not be covered for that storm if you purchase the travel insurance after that time.

3) As I've already stated, don't assume big name means best buy. Sometimes bigger is not better. Everyone sells travel insurance, but it's the service after the fact when you're filing a claim that separates the companies and from experience I can say that often times the big companies are the ones that create the most problems.

Keep in mind that while most of the policies are basically the same, there are differences that you need to be aware of in order to determine the best one for you. Also, best price is not always best deal as the coverage limits can be significantly different. Not all policies may cover your airfare, so you need to find out about that. Some policies will cover you for cancelling for 'covered' reasons only, while some will cover you for cancelling for any reason. Some will refund 100%, while others have limits like 75%, 80%, or 90%.

The cruise lines sell policies underwritten by insurance companies and if you have any questions, need assistance, or have to file a claim, your business is with the insurance company, not with the cruise line. So the cruise line will be of no help whatsoever. If you purchase independent insurance through your agent, they will be able to help you should you need any assistance.

Sorry, didn't mean to go into a dissertation about travel insurance, but having had many people over the years cancelling their trips due to a wide variety of reasons, some with and some without insurance, I have seen firsthand the benefits of spending a few extra dollars to protect an expensive vacation.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old March 19th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pete, so you would think buying cruise insurance from an independent is better than thru the cruise line? I normally go that route.
Old March 19th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Almost always, yes, it's better to get the independent travel insurance.

The only time I suggest anyone look at the insurance offered by the cruise line is if they're over 80 years old. The reason being is that the cruise line insurance is just based on length or cost of the cruise, whereas independent insurance is based on cost and age of the passenger. So the cruise line policy usually costs more for those who are younger, but cost less for those over 80. However, keep in mind that some of the cruise line insurance does not cover any airfare unless you book the air through them, plus sometimes their policy will only cover you for the length of the cruise and not the length of your travel (taking into account the day you leave your home and the day you return to your home). This is important if you're spending time before or after the cruise sightseeing or traveling. Many people going to far away places, like Europe or Asia, want to spend days or weeks traveling and the cruise is only a portion of their entire trip. Cruise line insurance would be a bad idea in this situation. Independent insurance will cover the air if you added that into the coverage amount and it will cover your entire trip, not just for the length of the cruise.

As you can see, deciding to purchase travel insurance is not as simple as yes or no. And what is right for one person or one trip may not be the right thing for another person or another trip. There are many things you have to take into consideration and this is why it's important to work with an agent so they can help with all the many details that go into the decision-making process.

Pete