Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Familiar Face

Default beaches in bermuda

Can you walk from one beach to another? Also is there any withouta steep walk down( like Horseshoe)? My sister is recovering from knee replacement. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2014, 09:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneinri View Post
Can you walk from one beach to another? Also is there any withouta steep walk down( like Horseshoe)? My sister is recovering from knee replacement. Thanks
At Horseshoe, there is a shuttle which runs continuously from the drop off point down to the beach and back. I believe it is free going down to the beach and there is a small fee if you want to ride it back up.

Once on the beach you can walk to the right to a small sheltered cove. If you walk left down the length of Horseshoe, you will eventually come to a series of small sheltered coves. We have walked all the way down through the coves to another large beach, I don't recall the name. But be aware this is a very long walk and although you can find maps for the walk, the way is not well marked and not much if any trail to speak of. Your sister would probably not want to tackle the walk.

One of our favorite beaches was Tobacco Bay near St George. We took the ferry from the pier over to St George. The historic town is great to walk around in. We walked from town, past the historic church ruin and on to T.B., but probably too much for your sister. There is a shuttle bus to Tobacco Bay from the town. The beach itself is very tiny, but the sheltered cove is great for snorkeling and very beautiful. It is a fairly short and level walk down the road to the right from the T. B. beach to Ft St Catherine where you can tour. Shuttles run from the fort also to and from town. There is a beach right next to St Catherine where we saw a few people, but no life guards. There is also a very nice restaurant next to the Ft. We sat on the outdoor patio overlooking the water and had lunch.

I believe there is a new beach which recently opened not far from the pier. You can walk along the road to get there. Not sure if the Dockyard shuttle runs down there, or if it is steep to get down there from the road.

And I just learned there is a new "pirate ship boat" which is now open and permanently docked at the peir. It is a bar, and no fee for entry, and no requirement to buy drinks. From the back of the boat you can access the water and use their noodles and floaties. You can even get a floating "bar" to hold your drink if you buy one. Google Bermuda Dockyard and you should get info. There is a beach at the dockyard which requires admission, but it is not that nice and is often very crowded.