Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Diana H

Default Trains from London to Southampton England

I am looking for information on how to take the train from London to Southamton, England to get on our cruise ship in May of 2005. I am looking for links and how does one check in luggage on a train? Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Diana
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Margie Stinson

Default Re: Trains from London to Southampton England

FWIW: For our Baltics cruise, we took the train from Victoria Station in London to Dover. I will NEVER do that again. I was traveling with my mother and therefore was solely responsible for tossing 5 suitcases on the train, getting us seated, and retrieving those same 5 suitcases when arriving in Dover. There was no such thing as "checking" anything. I never saw anyone who remotely looked like they could help, either in London or in Dover. NO MATTER WHAT THE COST, I will never do that again but will hire a private car or service. It's worth it to me.

Margie in Houston
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:12 PM
susancruzs

Hmm, I did London to Southampton back in 1984 and had the same problem. The train I took was considered a local train and there was no one to help me. I was new to traveling and was totally overwhelmed, fortunately someone helped me.

Everything I read these days, leans toward private cars. I think I've seen info under the port section, Europe, I believe!

Susie
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Beginner

I'll be the dissenting voice here. I had absolutely no problem with the train to Southampton, even with luggage (solo traveler). Trains were (in 2002 ... probably no different now) every 15 minutes, and the travel time from 1 hour 15-to-40 minutes, depending on local/express (trains on the hour and half hour the fastest). You still need to take a taxi from the station to the ship, which is about 5 to 10 minutes away. And, the fare was quite reasonable, about 21 pounds at that time, if I recall correctly.
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Margie Stinson

Default Re: Re: Trains from London to Southampton England

If I were traveling alone, I would have no problem taking the train. I can always handle my own baggage and hail a taxi. HOWEVER -- traveling with an older person presents certain challenges such as my handling all the luggage, and my experience in Dover was that there were not that many taxis for zillions of cruise passengers coming in and waits were long. Those who traveled from London by private transport had a MUCH easier time of it. Debarkation presented the same situation -- LONG lines to wait for a taxi to take you back to the train station. Those who were traveling my pre-arranged coach walked right on by, and those who had hired private transport were picked up immediately. Never again will I do the train thing on my own in a small place like Dover. They are simply not equipped to handle such a large amount of travelers all at once.

Margie in Houston
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Passenger

Has anyone had personal experience with getting train from Southampton to London? Getting off the ship always seems to take some time but once you get to train station I seem to have no problems. Of course we don't travel with lots of luggage. If you have lots of luggage you are probably not going to get much help at train stations.

Wondering if Southampton has lots of cabbies if not it can be miserable.