Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Passenger

Default dunns river

Hi
I've been told to wear shoes to climb the falls. Does anyone know what's the best type to wear and if i can buy suitable shoes at dunns river and cost or if its best to pack some before i leave?.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Default Dunns River

I was at Dunns River Falls this spring. You most definitely need shoes! Water shoes or beach shoes are fine. I believe there was a stand there that you could get these if you needed them, but they aren't expensive and you can probably find them in places like Walmart cheaper. I have a pair of Sketchers that are like a small running shoe with a criss-cross strap that worked great. These too can be found at Walmart or shoe stores. One tip, you cannot take anything with you while climbing the falls because it will get WET! Our guide kept our cameras and followed us up the walkway and took pictures from dry ground. Also we left our knapsacks in the tour vehicle, which meant we had no money for all the vendor stalls, which was actually great, because they are very persistent salespeople and we avoided that conflict. Other than that it is a great experience and very refreshing.
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Admiral

If you are unsure you can usually buy water shoes on board (for a decent price). Yes you will get wet !! Make sure you have a waterproof bag for your wallet or a waterproof card case (also on board with the cruise line's logo) and enjoy !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM
First Mate

I tend to like the Teva sport sandals. They fit well, are well-built, and basically can handle anything you can throw at them, including rafting, hiking, etc. Depending on where you find them, expect to pay maybe $40-80 depending on model...

I have also bought other brands, but they only give me one summer's worth of use. I can get two or three summers per pair of Teva's.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Admiral

any type of water/sports sandal work great, mine are LL Bean. You can wear them on deck, beach, falls or any excursion that includes any type of water activity. If you don't want to spend the money for those sandals, a plain pair of white tennis sneakers will also do just fine, the drawback they take forever to dry
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Beginner

We just returned from our first cruise on Grand Princess. We climbed Dunns Falls in Ocho Rios and it was awesome! My husband and I purchased river shoes before we went and they were terrific. Ours were from Soloman - a little expensive but well worth it. They are made like slip on tennis shoes, but made for the water. The soles were nice and thick and very comfortable. Our friends wore thinner soles water shoes and said they could feel the rocks on their feet. You definately need something good because the falls are very slippery in spots. I'd make the purchase before you go - they will be more expensive on the islands.

Hope you have a great time!

Blondie
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default Dunns Falls

Buy some water shoes from Lands End or LL Bean. good for many water places especially Dunns Falls
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Hi there - we went to Dunns River Falls in the summer 2005. I believe that they were renting water shoes to people for around $7 back then. However, we brought water shoes from home and we were kind of glad to have our own. I got them from swimoutlet.com - go to this site and search for water shoes. They come in all different prices, but I think they start as low as $9-10 dollars. Make sure they have a good grip on the bottom - it can be very slippery at the falls! I also saw people there wearing old sneakers that they didn't mind getting wet - problem with old sneakers is that the water doesn't drain out of them (very heavy).

The water shoes are also great when you're at the beach and the sand is burning hot, or when you want to go in the ocean and you have to walk on broken shells or stones (not to mention stepping on crabs).

The guides at Dunns River Falls will offer to hold your camera for you in their waterproof bags, which is a good idea (unless you have your own waterproof bag that you can carry easily - you need your hands and arms to keep your balance). They will also pull out your camera and take your picture along the way. Just be ready to tip them at the top of the falls - bring some small bills with you.

Have a great time!
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Beginner

For sure water shoes! Be prepared to be soaked. I had boat shoes and unloaded 2 and 1/2 tons of gravel from from them. Enjoy the falls!
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Get the water shoes at walmart. They get this smell to them so I would just throw them out afterwards, no reason to spend tons of money on them. they over charge at the falls for the shoes. You have to have them to climb.
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to teeny25
Default I'm sure this the date for this has past BUT

If anyone is going to Dunns Riverfall.. CROCS work great as well!! I was able to find a pair that fit all the way around like a tennis shoe but they have great trackings. Plus they are so cheap I just gave my pair to our tour guide to give away then didnt have to pack them again. If you want to do numerous activities like snorkling as well.. invest in a pair of watershoes but for just the fall.. seriously.. crocs!
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Caviat emptor!!!!

DO NOT purchase any shoes (OR ANYTHING ELSE) at Dunns River Falls!!
DO NOT bring ANY valuables with you!!!
DO BUY proper water shoes as this is a very steep and slippery excursion

At the falls you will be "nickled and dimed to death" . On our last (and only) visit to the falls our wives were solicited (bribed) to pay for tissue paper in the restrooms. We had one fellow offer to take our colective picture and then would not surrendor our camera unless we paid him $2.

BE VERY CAREFULL HERE
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Beginner

ABSOLUTELY be careful here. Once you climb the falls, they try to drag you through the locals crafts area. They tried to take my husband one way and me the other. We had just climbed the falls and had no money. It was very scary.

And the guys who take your pictures throughout the falls are NASTY at the end when you don't buy their pictures or videos. They also get NASTY if you don't give them tips.

BEWARE - BEWARE - BEWARE