Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Familiar Face

Default Star Princess January '08 Antarctica cruise

Anyone back yet from the January Antarctica cruise? Wondering what the weather was like. Understand that Buenos Aires can be very hot, but for how many days do you need warm weather clothes? How cold did it get closer to Cape Horn and Antarctica? I'm dreading packing for the 2/19/08 cruise -- I always pack too much, but we've almost always gone to warm weather ports. Now we have to pack two types of clothes, and winter clothes are much more bulky.

Help! Give me some advice, pretty please!
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Once was not good enough? http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587965

2/24/07 Valparaiso No exact temp. It was nice
2/25/07 At Sea 65F
2/26/07 Puerto Montt 58F
2/27/07 At sea 58F
2/28/07 At Sea 46F
3/1/07 Punta Arenas 39F
3/2/07 Ushuaia 35F
3/3/07 Cape Horn No exact temp, but it bone cold
3/4/07 Stanley 50F
3/5/07 At Sea. No exact temp - 115MPH winds and very heavy seas 40 ft waves
3/6/07 At Sea. No exact temp
3/7/07 Montevideo 75F
3/8/07 Buenos Aires 85F

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Antarctica via Star Princess

C'mon, there must be someone out there who just came back from the January Antarctica cruise on Star Princess. Should we take more cold weather clothes than warm weather ones? We won't be in Buenos Aires that long, but not sure how soon we should expect the temperature to drop.

Just heard that United is limiting checked on baggage to one piece of luggage per person, with a $25 surcharge for a second. How could you go for 18 days with one suitcase for two types of weather? And cold weather clothes are much bulkier to pack. (Duh!)

We leave in two weeks, so sure hope someone out there is paying attention and will help me.

Gracias!
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Beginner

Did you take the cruise on Princess to the Antartica around the Cape?
How was the weather? Any rough sea days? I am thinking about doing it Jan 2009 but am worried about it being so rough I'll miss it. Was 4 days cruising Antartica fun? boring?
Thanks!
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Familiar Face

Yes, we went to Antarctica and around the Cape in February 2008. We were told that the weather we had was much better than in January. The cruise was incredible. We were glad we had cruised Alaska first; Antartica, to quote the captain, is like Alaska on steroids! The scenery was spectacular and the temperature never got below 32 degrees fahrenheit. We only wore our winter coats two days. I wish someone had told us before what the weather would be like, as we packed too many winter clothes and not enough summer clothes.

The only thing I was disappointed about -- get this -- was that the ocean was too calm! I love the feeling of being rocked to sleep at night but we only had that a few times. The seas around Cape Horn almost looked like glass they were so calm. My husband laughed at me for wishing for rougher seas, but I had my ginger root pills handy just in case.

Cruising around Antarctica was never boring, especially since the weather cooperated. But beware -- what the cruise line doesn't tell you ahead of time is that you can't do any laundry for the four days in Antarctica because of their strict environmental regulations. I even brought laundry soap and fabric softener in anticipation.

Another thing to watch out for is the shore excursions, especially in the Falklands. We paid over $100 each to be driven over very rough land in a jeep and then look at one kind of penguin for an hour. We talked to people later who got off the ship, walked down towards the town, and found a tour that only cost themn $10 each! And they not only saw penguins, but sea lions and other wildlife.

So I hope you choose to take this trip. There is talk that the bigger cruise ships might not be allowed to go to Antarctica in the future because of potential pollution problems plus global warming causing the icebergs to melt much faster, so go while you can.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Beginner

We are heading on same cruise in January, 2009. We have signed on for Category BF. In checking the deck plans on Star Princess, I see that that category is on Emerald Deck, but I cannot figure out if we have a clear view or if it is obstructed. It says it is above the Promenade deck. Can anyone help me decipher? Thanks!