Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Captain

Default Silly things or not so Silly things you pack.

Before I went on my first cruise I posted on the Richard Simmons web site for things to pack. Oh my first cruise was a Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose on Carnival. And I didn't understan all the silly things people were bringing. Here are some I bring and why. Please post yours too. I love new tips.

Clear Packing Tape- I have mended a hem, fixed a dress shoe and strapped a broken suit case with it.

Post-it notes- The larger yellow post-its. Great for leaving notes to the room steward and your cabin mates.

Bungee cords- Great for holding open your cabin door if you want fresh air in the room. And on one cruise where we had multiple balcony cabins we used it to secure the partitian between the balconies to keep it from flopping back and forth.

A wad of $1 bills for tipping room service.

Door Decoration- Sometimes the cabin numbers are hard to see. So we dress up our door. It's fun to do. And makes it easy to find your cabin.

A soft sided cooler bag.
Zip lock bags various sizes
***What we do is what was suggested earlier. We order room service before a shore tour. Especially in places we are not sure of. We were so glad we did in Belize. We pack ice in 2 zip locks. And we put in a couple of bottles of water too.

A net laundry bag. Light weight and makes it easier to pack light and make a trip to the laundry one afternoon.

And for me I bring cold brew tea bags and crystal light to go packs.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
Captain

Huffca, you sound like us - lol! I think we bring most everything you do except the clear packing tape...which by the way is a great idea!

Lots of Ziplocks! Yes we also pack a lunch as well - and have done this on numerous tours. Sometimes we'll grab roles from the breakfast buffet as well as extra bacon or lunch meat and cheeses and presto-you have your sandwiches.

We usually bring large Starbucks thermos / mugs too and make our own iced tea and bring that along. Hey, I'm all for saving money and playing it safe.

By the way, we're in Orinda...you're just over the hill from us. My grandmother lives in Brentwood.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton
Huffca, you sound like us - lol! I think we bring most everything you do except the clear packing tape...which by the way is a great idea!

Lots of Ziplocks! Yes we also pack a lunch as well - and have done this on numerous tours. Sometimes we'll grab roles from the breakfast buffet as well as extra bacon or lunch meat and cheeses and presto-you have your sandwiches.

We usually bring large Starbucks thermos / mugs too and make our own iced tea and bring that along. Hey, I'm all for saving money and playing it safe.

By the way, we're in Orinda...you're just over the hill from us. My grandmother lives in Brentwood.
Hi Triton,
See that is what I like about these boards. So many good tips. Nveer thought of "shopping" on the breakfast buffet. Great idea. Orinda yes we are almost neighbors. I work in Concord and live in an older area of Antioch. :-) Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Familiar Face

I also like to pack some bubble wrap. Comes in handy if I buy something breakable and if I don't need it I just leave it behind. That also frees up room in the luggage. Our local Target has lots of travel sizes of things so I buy a travel size of laundry liquid. Costs me 75cents and does 2 loads, opposed to paying $1 for a box on board that only does 1 load. Throw in a couple of fabric softener sheets as well.
I make up a little 'first aid' kit as well. The usual things plus sudafed and a Tide to Go pen for stains on clothes, should they happen.
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Default ITEMS

The most important hint I picked 20 years ago was a very inexpensive cloth shoe bag we hang over the closet or bathroom door. I store sandals, tanning lotions, wooden clothes pins, flashlight, first aid items, shoes.., etc. leaving the counter tops and the floor alot less cluttered.. Calgon was famous for this.. list and it includes so many things I don't know how he and his wife managed to put in clothes.. I have to laugh when I hear people say they got the hint from the cruise boards...yep.its been Parrot Mom.. all along. Oh yes.. a new one.. I have a black film holder that i put in thin gold chains or diamond studs.. Also, those little long tubes for the beach, etc.. I use it for $$$ and attach it with a safety pin to the inside of my bag...
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Captain

Great thread huffca, so glad you posted it.

I'm getting good ideas for our trip in 3 weeks! Will have to try the shoe bag over the bathroom door...my other half though has a shaving kit that hangs, so most of his stuff is off the counter. On X ships, I think there is sufficient storage shelves for my clutter...and there is room underneath the sinks too.

Bubble wrap would come in handy! I need to buy a replacement Emillo Roba bowl for the bathroom, and the ship has the best to choose from.
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Captain

Hi All,

I knew that people would have tips I hadn't heard of or thought of. And you all did. Keep'um coming. They are great.

Happy Cruisen
Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

We take a cooler with wheels and a couple of 12 packs of Soda in it, we pack the beer in the luggage, and just have the room steward fill it with ice daily. It sure saves a lot of money.

We pack a small fan in case the a/c on the ship isn't working well. We also pack a power strip because there are never enough power outlets in a room. Also, don't forget the alarm clock.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old September 4th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
We take a cooler with wheels and a couple of 12 packs of Soda in it, we pack the beer in the luggage, and just have the room steward fill it with ice daily. It sure saves a lot of money.

We pack a small fan in case the a/c on the ship isn't working well. We also pack a power strip because there are never enough power outlets in a room. Also, don't forget the alarm clock.
You are right. The rolling cooler looks great. We did that once. And used the cooler as extra luggage to take home all of our treasures.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Captain

Hi everyone,
Here is what everyone has come up with so far. Great ideas everyone.

Tips from Me Huffca
Clear Packing Tape- I have mended a hem, fixed a dress shoe and strapped a broken suit case with it.

Post-it notes- The larger yellow post-its. Great for leaving notes to the room steward and your cabin mates.

Bungee cords- Great for holding open your cabin door if you want fresh air in the room. And on one cruise where we had multiple balcony cabins we used it to secure the partitian between the balconies to keep it from flopping back and forth.

Door Decoration- Sometimes the cabin numbers are hard to see. So we dress up our door. It's fun to do. And makes it easy to find your cabin.

A soft sided cooler bag.
***What we do is what was suggested earlier. We order room service before a shore tour. Especially in places we are not sure of. We were so glad we did in Belize. We pack ice in 2 zip locks. And we put in a couple of bottles of water too.

A net laundry bag. Light weight and makes it easier to pack light and make a trip to the laundry one afternoon.

Neck wallet with window for our Sign & Sail Card. I find it easier than carring around a purse. Which I tend to sit down and forget.

Tips from Triton

Tips from Topher
Bubble wrap. Comes in handy if I buy something breakable and if I don't need it I just leave it behind. That also frees up room in the luggage.
Travel size of laundry liquid. Costs me 75cents and does 2 loads, opposed to paying $1 for a box on board that only does 1 load.
Fabric softener sheets (Note from Huffca: they also keep your clothes smelling nice until you unpack)
I make up a little 'first aid' kit as well. The usual things plus sudafed and a Tide to Go pen for stains on clothes, should they happen.

Tips from Parrot Mom

The most important hint I picked 20 years ago was a very inexpensive cloth shoe bag we hang over the closet or bathroom door. I store sandals, tanning lotions, wooden clothes pins, flashlight, first aid items, shoes.., etc. leaving the counter tops and the floor alot less cluttered..

Black film holder that i put in thin gold chains or diamond studs

Little long tubes for the beach, etc.. I use it for $$$ and attach it with a safety pin to the inside of my bag.

Tips from fireba11
Cooler with wheels and a couple of 12 packs of Soda in it, we pack the beer in the luggage, and just have the room steward fill it with ice daily. It sure saves a lot of money.

Small fan in case the a/c on the ship isn't working well.

Power strip, because there are never enough power outlets in a room.

Alarm clock

7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffca
Hi everyone,
Here is what everyone has come up with so far. Great ideas everyone.

Tips from Me Huffca

A soft sided cooler bag.

Neck wallet with window for our Sign & Sail Card. I find it easier than carring around a purse. Which I tend to sit down and forget.

Tips from Triton

Tips from Topher
Bubble wrap. Comes in handy if I buy something breakable and if I don't need it I just leave it behind. That also frees up room in the luggage.
Travel size of laundry liquid. Costs me 75cents and does 2 loads, opposed to paying $1 for a box on board that only does 1 load.
Fabric softener sheets (Note from Huffca: they also keep your clothes smelling nice until you unpack)

Tips from Parrot Mom

The most important hint I picked 20 years ago was a very inexpensive cloth shoe bag we hang over the closet or bathroom door. I store sandals, tanning lotions, wooden clothes pins, flashlight, first aid items, shoes.., etc. leaving the counter tops and the floor alot less cluttered..

Black film holder that i put in thin gold chains or diamond studs

Little long tubes for the beach, etc.. I use it for $$$ and attach it with a safety pin to the inside of my bag.

Tips from fireba11
Cooler with wheels and a couple of 12 packs of Soda in it, we pack the beer in the luggage, and just have the room steward fill it with ice daily. It sure saves a lot of money.

Small fan in case the a/c on the ship isn't working well.

Power strip, because there are never enough power outlets in a room.

Alarm clock

Hi Huffca,
Great topic you started, I am getting a lot of tips for our next cruise. Regarding the hanging shoe bag tip that Parrot Mom offered, that was a great and useful tip. I purchased one today at a 99 cents store. Mine is all vinyl with clear see through pockets and swivel hook at the top. It will be perfect for our needs.
Keep the good tips coming!
Shopper 123

Old September 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Default MORE

Hi..so many things and I'm so forgetful.. I take a tiny flashlight.. we did l0se power one night on a ship...

Hate the dryers on ships so I have a small mini one..

TWO large mesh bags for laundry..One for dark clothes and one for white.. Since your not going to spend your days doing laundry.. when you have something dirty put it in the bag.. at the end of the trip when your packing..inside the mesh bag with the dirties.. put in your liquor and breakables.. It also makes it easier when you get home of both of those bags are in the same suitcase..

There is a new product now on the market that is a combination soap and conditioner..on what looks like a piece of paper

The steward if there isn't one can provide a litle sewing kit, but with all the cruises and vacations I have them all over the place.

We also have printed up "cards" with our names and e-mail address through Vista Print.. rather than writing addresses I've even been given cards that have the persons picture so we will remember.

I myself don't like the idea that Princess had on our ship with our names outside our doors..took it down twice..lol

Also, I often carry a collapsible cup..which holds in the lid pills.available at The Container Store..

Yes, i also carry Crystal Lite..the individual packets for bottled water, sweet and low and herbal tea bags....not to mention GINGER TABLETS FOR prevention of sea sickness and peppermint tea bags..
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Captain

Default Re: MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Hi..so many things and I'm so forgetful.. I take a tiny flashlight.. we did l0se power one night on a ship...

Hate the dryers on ships so I have a small mini one..

TWO large mesh bags for laundry..One for dark clothes and one for white.. Since your not going to spend your days doing laundry.. when you have something dirty put it in the bag.. at the end of the trip when your packing..inside the mesh bag with the dirties.. put in your liquor and breakables.. It also makes it easier when you get home of both of those bags are in the same suitcase..

There is a new product now on the market that is a combination soap and conditioner..on what looks like a piece of paper

The steward if there isn't one can provide a litle sewing kit, but with all the cruises and vacations I have them all over the place.

We also have printed up "cards" with our names and e-mail address through Vista Print.. rather than writing addresses I've even been given cards that have the persons picture so we will remember.

I myself don't like the idea that Princess had on our ship with our names outside our doors..took it down twice..lol

Also, I often carry a collapsible cup..which holds in the lid pills.available at The Container Store..

Yes, i also carry Crystal Lite..the individual packets for bottled water, sweet and low and herbal tea bags....not to mention GINGER TABLETS FOR prevention of sea sickness and peppermint tea bags..
Great additional tips.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Default SHOE BAGS

NOW THis may sound strange.. but the plastic take up more room than a cloth shoe bags..I've gotten mine at Walmarts..but for 99 cents don't sweat it.. The ginger tablets can be bought at a health food store and the mint tea bags are for when you stomach is queezy,but I take the ginger tablets the minute I sit down or walk on the cruise ship..and every day after that at meal times.. The olf fashioned wooden clamp clothes pins for hanging stuff on the shower line or where nobody can see them on the chairs on the balcony. If y ou want to take air spray.. buy the kind that is NOT pressurized... and a Febreeze will take the smoke stink out of your dress clothes.. What I also do is keep my toiletries in a large plastic bag (toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrush, cotton bals, q.tips, floss etc.) and when I close my suitcase for going home I put a sticky pad inside telling what I need to replenish before the next cruise..HAVE also found a bath jell that hooks over the toiletry bar in the shower.. What I also do is take the extra containers and pour in shampoo and conditioner.. Oh yes.. one container...I fill with Whisk.. and when something is stained..I pour Whisk or you can fill it with Woolite..on it and put it in the laundry bag.. This trip I'm definetely putting hand sanitizers in every little area, camera bags, cosmetics, and pocket books.. Oh yes.. I ALSO like baby/hand wipes to wash your face when your off the ship..

WOOPS.. forgot underlining pens. for marking off on the daily schedule things you might want to do..did anybody else have this..
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Captain

Default Re: SHOE BAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
NOW THis may sound strange.. but the plastic take up more room than a cloth shoe bags..I've gotten mine at Walmarts..but for 99 cents don't sweat it.. The ginger tablets can be bought at a health food store and the mint tea bags are for when you stomach is queezy,but I take the ginger tablets the minute I sit down or walk on the cruise ship..and every day after that at meal times.. The olf fashioned wooden clamp clothes pins for hanging stuff on the shower line or where nobody can see them on the chairs on the balcony. If y ou want to take air spray.. buy the kind that is NOT pressurized... and a Febreeze will take the smoke stink out of your dress clothes.. What I also do is keep my toiletries in a large plastic bag (toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrush, cotton bals, q.tips, floss etc.) and when I close my suitcase for going home I put a sticky pad inside telling what I need to replenish before the next cruise..HAVE also found a bath jell that hooks over the toiletry bar in the shower.. What I also do is take the extra containers and pour in shampoo and conditioner.. Oh yes.. one container...I fill with Whisk.. and when something is stained..I pour Whisk or you can fill it with Woolite..on it and put it in the laundry bag.. This trip I'm definetely putting hand sanitizers in every little area, camera bags, cosmetics, and pocket books.. Oh yes.. I ALSO like baby/hand wipes to wash your face when your off the ship..

WOOPS.. forgot underlining pens. for marking off on the daily schedule things you might want to do..did anybody else have this..
WTG ...Great tips. Some that no one mentioned yet. I do highlighters too but forgot to list it. What we do with that is each of us have our own color. Then we have a color for things the group wants to do together.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Default MORE

My last "more" is in e-mail space..lol Okay..first make sure you get a
City Bank Credit card. ..no charge for conversion.. We are el cheapo.. we bring large plastic drink containers and fill them on board with iced tea, make lemonade with Crystal lite, or iced coffee.. we have loops I think now to hang on our bags.. Also, why do you need to bring soap for the washing machines..but didnt know how to stop the soap to add my own..So, what you need at at least four rolls of quarters for the washer and dryers.. Had never thought about making sandwiches..I'd rather eat on the ship if its not an an all day excursion...or have a cold drink or something locally.. I do know in Malaga the first time we accidently found a side street restaurant where we had a fabulous meal of fried sardines and calamari..with red wine.. I notice Princess doesn't provide a pitcher of water on the desk.. so what we did was let the ice cubes melt and use the water...lol Some people bring a large drink container and make whatever and leave it when they disembark..Havent done that yet.. I know this sounds strange.. but for whatever reason I brought locally made jam...intending to give it to omebody as a gift... through circumstances I gave a jar each to two ladies in the gift shops on the Celebrity Galaxy... they were very touched.. nobody had ever given them a gift. Oh yes, I also have a folding umbrella and an extension cord in our bags..
What we have is a carry on/small bag we call the "necessities bag" and that's where we put all the "stuff"..lol I don't pack lightly..lol
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Passenger

If youcarry on a bottle of wine be sure and pack a cork acrew It is next to impossible to find oe you can use onboard
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Default CORK SCREW--ONE MORE NEW HINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYCEV
If youcarry on a bottle of wine be sure and pack a cork acrew It is next to impossible to find oe you can use onboard
JUST DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR CARRY ON LUGGAGE...

I HAVE Kept all my cruise documents, copy of tickets, sales slips, livery service, cruise info on a loose leaf folder with all sorts of notes of hints about excursions, the original invoice, s hops, from the moment I book our cruise. . Last year Parrot Pop bought me a two large heavy duty clear vinyl envelopes..closing with velcro.. and I now put that envelope in the back of my carry on case..you know that little u seless thin compartment.. So, when we get to the airport I just pull out the correct papers folder ..have them in the same place at all times..Since the hotel we stay at in Barcelona has free internet service I also have e-mail addresses of our friends..
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Captain

We keep all of our receipts too - never know when you're going to need it. Bought a Swarovski love birds in St. Lucia last April, good tihng we saved it as one of the birds "fell" off the branch, lol. I had a feeling about the sales person and knew I shouldn't have bought this...anyway just returned it to Swarovski for a "free" replacement or repair, along with the sales invoice.

Corkscrew: Ask your cabin attendant. We have never had a cabin attendant not able to produce a corkscrew. But as Parrot Mom said, not in your carryon. I was stupid enough to throw one in mine and was held over in a Palm Springs airport while they frisked, interrogated and detained me...all for a damn cork screw. !

I don't like money clips, and always leave my wallet in the cabin safe. I have a small two fold (inserts into my wallet). In this I slide my sea pass card, one credit card, some bills folded up - and that's it. That's all I carry in my front pocket - and it's safe. If we're on shore we bring our passports.
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Passenger

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a travel purse for women. When you are on ship, you don't need much and I saw many women lugging around their bags they use on land. I have a cross body bag I bought at Target that is just big enough to hold my cruise card, passport, ship map, a tube of lipstick, an iPod, and a paperback. Safer than jamming your cruise card in your pocket and while the lanyards are handy, they can ruin the look of a carefully planned dinner outfit.
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Default LANYARDS

Is there anything more tacky than a lanyard...I don't think so..lol.. If I'm not wearing a parrot themed bag (all sizes and shapes)..I have a small red bag that I can carry.. it holds my camera, cosmetics, etc. Also bought at Rockport Outlet two little bags (b lackand white).. just enough to hold the card, lipstick and maybe a mirror... but the bag I talk about.. that holds everything, I've had for years.. sadly, I haven't met a bag I don't like..whether it's a back pack (never wear them), Several years ago on a RC cruise the CC gave out little black holders that hold your cards, have room for $$, etc.. I often toss that and SAFETY PIN IT inside a bag either to the lining or a pull zipper.
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Captain

And the great tips keep coming. On the bag topic. I like using a neck wallet I have 2 one that can also go over the shoulder. they both have room for my cell phone and a lip balm. I don't like having to keep track of my purse. For the pool time I have a container that fits my cardkey and my lip balm. It's water tight and floats. If I need to cary more I like a waist pack.I agree these aren't very stylish but they work for me. And for my waist pack I found that WalMart had one that was nice looking and had a longer strap. Because I am a larger lady I find it harder to find one that's comfortable.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Default pool stuff

GUESS the secret is that the only thing you need at the pool is just your room card..we don't need cash on the ship..or around the pool.. I take that little crazy red bag and Parrot Pop years ago found a mesh scuba diving bag.. at least I think it is.. and I stick in a book or crossword puzzle, lotions, handwipes, and the cruise towels if they are left in the cabin.. plus sun glasses.. As for a watch... I have a el cheapo watch that is waterproof and old.. if I don't want to wear that into the pool... I attach that to a bag.. MOST IMPORTANT... the large safety locks..those we attach to the chair/lounge..and lol a chair neighbor to watch your stuff..
Old October 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Captain

Bumping up for a friend to find.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory