Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Gluten Free on Princess

I am going on a Princess cruise in May and I'm starting to think about all the things I need to do before we go (I'm a little excited if you couldn't tell!). I know that one of the things I need to do is send (fax) a letter to Princess telling them that I cannot eat gluten. I was just wondering if anyone has had to do this before and what kind of information I need to provide. I plan on giving them my name, the cruise I'm going on, and of course that I am gluten free, but I'm wondering if I need to give them more information. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Admiral

I am on a gluten free diet .However ,I am on medication that I shall be on forever .My GI believes that if I stay on my medication I can eat anything .At home I follow my diet ,however on my recent cruise I ate everything except chocolate and I was fine .
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Admiral

once you board the ship, head down to the main dining room, seek out the Maitre D, give him your dining information and then tell him your diet restrictions, and also mention it to the senior waiter on your wait team
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
once you board the ship, head down to the main dining room, seek out the Maitre D, give him your dining information and then tell him your diet restrictions, and also mention it to the senior waiter on your wait team
Yes, but FIRST, have your travel agent notify ship's services at least 6 weeks in advance, and get a written confirmation!

THEN, follow the advice above once you board the ship.

Any dietary restrictions should always be given advance notice, and then confirmed on boarding. Just walking in and announcing it may create problems.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:10 AM
First Mate

A great many North Americans are on gluten free diets.
If you are sailing on a Grand Class Ship, approximately 300 - 500 of your fellow cruisers will also be requesting a gluten free diet.
The cruise lines are very familiar with this as they do it every week of the year.
Be sure to notify and remind your waiter and Maitre d'.
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
A great many North Americans are on gluten free diets.
If you are sailing on a Grand Class Ship, approximately 300 - 500 of your fellow cruisers will also be requesting a gluten free diet.
The cruise lines are very familiar with this as they do it every week of the year.
Be sure to notify and remind your waiter and Maitre d'.
Bruce... thanks so much for that information. I had no idea that condition was that common.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Default Online is also an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepumpkin View Post
I am going on a Princess cruise in May and I'm starting to think about all the things I need to do before we go (I'm a little excited if you couldn't tell!). I know that one of the things I need to do is send (fax) a letter to Princess telling them that I cannot eat gluten. I was just wondering if anyone has had to do this before and what kind of information I need to provide. I plan on giving them my name, the cruise I'm going on, and of course that I am gluten free, but I'm wondering if I need to give them more information. Thanks in advance for your help!
Why not register with Princess online?

https://book.princess.com/captaincir...ionStepOne.jsp

You can choose to alert Princess of your diet needs from their website, along with other needs and preferences.

Good Luck.

Old January 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Default Gluten Free

People suffering from Crohn's disease ,colitis ,ulcertaive colitis ,irritable bowel syndrome and many other similiar illnesses should be on gluten free diets .

My gastroenterologist is of the belief that if his patients are on medication continously (for me its 6 pills a day) you can go off your gluten free diet occasionally .I eat whatever I desire on vacation (except for chocolate and dairy products)and I've never had a problem .
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you everyone for your advice! I sent off an email to my travel agent and she said that they had received the information and everything should be all set! That was easy! Thank you LisaK and Mike also for the advice on going to the Maitre D. I'll make sure to do that once I get on the ship. Here's hoping it all works out!