Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2004, 11:18 AM
bpm

Default Labadee

Has anyone been to Labadee since the storm hit? I am leaving on 10/22 for Labadee and Aruba. With all the destruction seen on tv Im wondering if the ship will still go there.
Will it be safe with all the reports of hunger and despair?,
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Labadee

RCI ships are actually planning to stop there today and tomorrow, due to their changes in schedules while they can't get back into Florida home ports. The capital and Labadee were not adversley affected by Ivan.
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bpm,
Here is the latest release from Royal Caribbean:

Tropical Weather Update

September 26, 2004 - 3 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor Hurricane Jeanne and its aftermath to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises and to make certain our ships steer clear of any storms.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International. We are pleased to report that our ships in the Caribbean are sailing in calm seas and warm, sunny weather.

Because of Hurricane Jeanne, Royal Caribbean International is altering the itineraries of several ships. Itinerary changes are listed below. We will update this information three times daily, at 10 a.m., 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International is currently unable to bring ships to Coco Cay, Bahamas, our private island. Storm-related repairs are ongoing and should be complete in the coming weeks.

Additionally, storm recovery efforts in Freeport, Bahamas, and Georgetown, Cayman Islands, prevent us from visiting those ports. We look forward to returning to those locations in the very near future.

Ships scheduled to make port calls at these locations in the coming weeks will make alternative port calls or spend the day at sea.

Ships sailing from Port Canaveral

Sovereign of the Seas, currently on its September 24 sailing, will not make its port call at Miami, Florida, today. Instead, the ship will spend today at sea. Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Jeanne, this itinerary is subject to change.

UPDATED: Sovereign of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Monday on a four-night sailing, will delay its return from its current sailing and its departure for its next sailing until Tuesday, September 28. The ship, which may arrive midday or late afternoon, will delay its departure until 8 p.m. local time Tuesday, and sail a modified itinerary that will end Friday, October 1. The ship will visit Nassau, Bahamas, on Wednesday and Thursday. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $250 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a letter of credit for the amount paid for the cruise portion of their sailing. Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Jeanne, this itinerary is subject to change.

UPDATED: Mariner of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart today on a seven-night sailing, will delay its return from its current sailing and its departure for its next sailing until Tuesday, September 28. The ship, which may arrive midday or late afternoon, will delay its departure until 8 p.m. local time Tuesday, and sail a modified itinerary that will end Sunday, October 3. The ship will visit Nassau, Bahamas, on Wednesday; and Cozumel, Mexico, on Friday. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $500 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a letter of credit for the amount paid for the cruise portion of their sailing. Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Jeanne, this itinerary is subject to change.

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami

Explorer of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart today on a seven-night sailing, will delay its return from its current sailing and its departure for its next sailing until Monday, September 27. The ship will delay its departure until 9 p.m. local time Monday, and sail a modified itinerary that will end Sunday, October 3. The ship will visit Costa Maya, Mexico, on Wednesday; Cozumel, Mexico, on Thursday; and Nassau, Bahamas, on Saturday. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $250 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a letter of credit for the amount paid for the cruise portion of their sailing. Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Jeanne, this itinerary is subject to change.

Navigator of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart yesterday on a seven-night sailing, will delay its return from its current sailing and its departure for its next sailing until Monday, September 27. The ship will delay its departure until 9 p.m. local time Monday, and sail a modified itinerary that will end Saturday, October 2. The ship will visit Ocho Rios, Jamaica, on Wednesday; and Labadee, Hispaniola, on Thursday. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $500 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a letter of credit for the amount paid for the cruise portion of their sailing. Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Jeanne, this itinerary is subject to change.

Ships sailing from the Port of Baltimore

Grandeur of the Seas, currently on its September 24 sailing, will sail a revised itinerary. The ship will make port calls in King?s Wharf, Bermuda, today and Monday; Labadee, Hispaniola, on Wednesday; and Nassau, Bahamas, on Friday. Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Jeanne, this itinerary is subject to change.

At this time, no Royal Caribbean International ships are being impacted by tropical weather. We will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information at 7 p.m. today.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Nancy M

I'm also leaving on the 22nd and glad you asked that question. With only 2 stops I hope things improve, but looking at the pictures in the paper today, things don't look too good.
Old September 28th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Passenger

I just got back from the 9-18 sailing of Navigator. Our 7 day turned into a 9 day cruise. What a way to be evacuated! Labadee has not been affected by the storms. It is on the other side of the island from the destruction and protected from the local unrest. There is a fence around one side and water around the others. Sunburn should be your biggest fear at that port. We did the kyaking and parasailing excursion and had a blast. Enjoy your time!
Old September 28th, 2004, 06:15 PM
bpm

Default Re: Re: Labadee

Thanks for the info..Just a little worried..things dont look to good over there..People are desperate for food..Will feel a bit guilty when enjoying the cook out....I.have visions of machete swinging gangs looking for food storming the gate....Im just surprised RCCL. is comfortable stopping there under these conditions. I went to Labadee 2 years ago and found it beautiful..best stop on the trip..I hope everything straightens out quickly.

bpm
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Yeoman

We were on the Sept. 24th sailing of the Grandeur. We were on Labadee on the 29th. It was absolutely beautiful..I saw no damage & there were quite a few police & security guards strolling around. Our captain made an announcement the night before reassuring us that they were in contact with authorities there and that it was ok to stop. I don't think they would take any chances with a cruise ship full of people. I'm so glad we didn't miss it. It was the best stop we had.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:04 AM
bpm

Thanks Rebel, that is reassuring..I just saw an article today in the Boston Herald where it said some gangs have threatened to kidnap Americans and cut off their heads if they go to Haiti...I hope RCCL is aware and has ample security..
bpm
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Admiral

I read it in the Globe, too. This is my first time finally getting to stop at Labadee. I certainly hope they don't change that port, too. It is terrible about all of the rebels and the death & destruction. Troops are there to help calm and distribute aid, but the rebels are causing all of the trouble.
Bon Voyage
Old October 8th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Passenger

We are on the same sailing and I have been wondering about that same thing. Have read all info on RCCL website and it seems we are going there. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Sis

Mum,

What ship are you sailing and what date?
Old October 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jimscott3

We were at Labadee 9/27 as part of out 9/24 Voyager sailing. Labadee is terrific, and no sign of any damage at all.

There was a private security guard at Dragon's Rock (I reccomend going to it highly! Bring a video camera with a mic.) which is a little off the beaten path. We all felt very safe all the time.

j

RCL Voyager of the Seas, 10/7/05
RCL Explorer of the Seas, 10/6/06
Old October 10th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Corvette Lover

The stuff you are reading about is down in Port au Prince, several hours drive to the south.
I have not been there lately, but doubt that there is a security concern in Labadee- it is very remote, and nobody really has a reason to go there.
The largest city that is close to Labadee is Cap Haitien, which was not damaged by the storm, and ait continues to function normally... for Haiti, anyway.