Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Captain

Default tips on upgrading?

We've read a lot about upgrades. If the ship is not fully booked does RCI upgrade easily? Is it better to ask the Travel Agent in advance or to ask at the pier? Any tips or experiences???
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:07 PM
gerif

Default Re: tips on upgrading?

If you upgrade through your travel agent, you will pay full booking price per person. If you upgrade at the pier, you will pay a set price per cabin (as opposed to per person) - much better deal, but you need to get there very early and hope for the best.
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Captain

Thanks, but I've heard of some people requesting an upgrade and getting it for free. In one case this was with their travel agent and they were bumped from an outside cabin to a balcony. It was in late October on RCI.
I'd love to hear if anyone has had any experiences with this.
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: tips on upgrading?

Travel agents have a point system with the cruise lines which enable them to give complimentary gifts/upgrades to their clients. They earn points based on how many cruises they book through the cruise line per year and can redeem them for their clients. Most of the time, the points will be redeemed for welcome gifts, celebration gifts, or other small amenities when their passengers arrive. Doesn't hurt to ask your travel agent to find out if this is possible.

Since, I don't have the clock countdown....i'll manually put it in..

SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS - APRIL 17th, 2006
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:26 PM
Yeoman

It also helps to ask if something was wrong on a prior cruise. I was overcharged initially and had an awful time getting "RCI" to respond. Even though I didn't ask for additional compensation, they offered a future upgrade but when I wanted it, there were no "C" cabins available and I had paid for a "D." When I asked for a "B" they flat out refused. T/A called them and reminded them of the problem and they made the upgrade. Hassle? Sure, but what a nice room (1556 on the "Radiance" hump).
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

I got an auto upgrade back in 2000 I went from a Catg F to a catg C at no extra cost. This was a March cruise out of San Juan. But now I do not want an upgrade. We like the aft cabins and there is nothign better. I would not take the Royal Suite if given it. Give me my aft! Think of it this way. When you are in your car look out the drivers or passengers window then look out the back window and see how much more you can see! I had my first aft last year and if I am getting a balcony I gotta have a aft! Aft on the Explorer 9690!
Lexi
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
glojo

On our last cruise we asked if they had any compliementary upgrades when we checked in. We were booked inside 2sd deck level, bottom of the boat, and got a deck 7 upgrade, both were inside. Any advantage? Just less time on the elevator, so no real great wonderful upgrade.
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:18 PM
pcboston

I tried to submit this once, and lost it, so will try once more. Upgrades are not always to your advantage. You may get a worst location than you already have. I feel that it is not a favor to you, but a business decision by the cruiseline. Some cabins do not sell well so if they are not sold at cruise time, they will upgrade you to them, and resell your lower priced cabin to someone else. I understand that some people have gotten lucky and gotten a better cabin, but if location is important to you, maybe you should think twice before accepting an upgrade. You can end up over the theater or the kitchen. My thinking is that upgrades are offered as a "carrot " to get people to book, and you are better off in a spot of your own choosing. JMHO Good luck and happy cruising!
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Sorry - but what is a hump?
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:28 PM
lgwilson

Default Re: Re: Re: tips on upgrading?

CruznLexi, I have to ask you.......what is aft? I've heard this type of cabin but have no idea what it means I guess I'm a little cruise illiterate
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:07 PM
wesnine

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: tips on upgrading?

Aft means back of the ship.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Passenger

Everyone is right on track!! the only time I have received a true upgrade is when I have paid for it at the pier. It is a small charge in relation to the TA booking it. I went from an outside deck 2 on RAdience to JS aft deck 10 for 550. The price from the TA 3 month prior was 3350.00 for that room. I paid 1030 or the OV and paid the 550 at the pier. that got me to 1530 for a JS aft on the Radience. It was a better room though I did pay for it. Yet it was 50% of the dicounted fair 3 months prior. Just remember I would have been stuck on Deck 2 if no other deal was avail.

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM
maryjorunyon

Was the 550. total or per person? I am going with my two daughters in room 9514 on the Sovereign and was going to ask for an upgrade once we got to the pier. Since the rooms are so small, it might be worth it.
Thanks for the info.