Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Getting closer...

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default How big is Oasis?

As she enters the harbor right now....

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Finally docking at 11:00 am:

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Admiral

This should be an interesting test, to see how smoothly they can get current passengers off the ship, and the new passengers onboard. RCI website said the goal is 15 minutes from curbside to onboard. Paul, let us know how well their plan works.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow View Post
This should be an interesting test, to see how smoothly they can get current passengers off the ship, and the new passengers onboard. RCI website said the goal is 15 minutes from curbside to onboard. Paul, let us know how well their plan works.
That is definitely my most pressing question.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Admiral

An agent friend of mine is in the terminal right now in the 4000 seat waiting area. She said the ship is only going to be half full for this preview cruise and so the terminal hasn't been stressed. She got from pier to the holding area in mere minutes. She just told me boarding is to start at 2pm.
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In that shot, she looks like an oil rig!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM
First Mate

hey paul...it really isn't the chump thing...that ship is just TOO BIG!!

BUT i did watch the GMA thing today, what little there was of it! Frankly i would have preferred the whole 2 hours seeing the neat stuff on the ship...then i could MAYBE decide..

(ok, so MAYBE i could be convinced to try it out...AFTER the initial hoopla wears off.....! if only to see that water show stuff!)

enjoy though! i will be following your info, but i'm getting on Ex tomorrow for what is now a B2B !! YAY!

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

I took a peak at your albums and the pictures you have in there are pretty nice. The neighborhoods actually look like neighborhoods. Looking foward to hearing more.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

thank you for your updates. I have been keeping track of your blog and your doing a great job. This is a wonderful ship and your blessed to be on it.... Wish i was you!!

Feb 2001 Majesty of the seas
March 2002 Majesty of the seas
Nov 2002 Majesty of the seas
March 2005 Explorer of the seas
March 2006 Adventure of the seas
March 2008 Freedom of the seas (Married onboard the Freedom of the Sea's)

March 2012 Freedom of the sea's
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default New Pictures in Gallery

Cruise Ship Pictures - CruiseMates Cruise Photos Gallery

Here is a link to a LOT of new pictures/ I just have to say, Oasis is a WINNER!

I was a little concerned with their news blackout during their Atlantic crossing, but we were told it was because Good Morning America wanted an exclusive to show the ship first.

If you missed GMA - here are some of my picks. I think you will agree the ship outdoes its reputation in real life - a truly amazing ship.!
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

I also love the pictures you have in your Profile Gallery. I couldn't fetch any of them but here is the link for the readers. They are great.

Paul's Oasis Pictures

This is one of my favorites: It really does look like a neighborhood.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Picking Up where left off

Who would have believed I would have NO time to even get online to update everyone on the ship. But that is it, once I got onboard it was non-stop running around to see everything.

Here is the deal-eo...

Oasis is an amazing ship. If any of you remember your anticipation at seeing the first Voyager class ship - which was the lat ship to come that exceeded size in the same way Oasis does.. then you remember the feeling of seeing this huge new3 ship and thinking, so this is the future of cruising.

Well... let me tell you, with Oasis it is the same the same feeling, only doubled, or tripled, because the ship is just so amazing. It is everything you expected and more. It is beautiful in many ways, never tacky, always completely absorbing.

I did not see one person without a smile on their face. Ever.

I had a Central Park balcony cabin... and it was GREAT to be able to walk outside and look down on this beautiful park area. I have some pictures of the view from my balcony here:

And here is another one...

Now, this was early evening, of course. At night all the lights come on and the park just sparkles. During the day it is a spot of tranquility.

The ship has trons of balcony cabins. I heard a few people say they would rather have a view of the sea than a park. I liked this view a lot, and the generous size of their balcony. But the sea-view cabins actually cost less!
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Just to get a feel for the fun of this ship, take a look at this shot of the Boardwalk, looking back toward the ship. The glass view and openness overview is just so invigorating. The ship is an architectural marvel:

But there is more to it as well.

There is plenty of deck space for sunning, even with 6000 guests onboard. For one thing - there are so many balconies. But the top decks also have rows and rows and deck loungers, the entire length of the ship. There is a great miniature golf course up there, ping pong (in glass enclosed rooms so no wind). There are two flow riders and two of the biggest rock-climbing walls I have ever seen anywhere.

The zip line was working, but you had to sign up and the line was pretty long line, but you could still do it.

On our cruise none of the shows completely filled up. The reservation system works really well. About 5 minutes before show time they let people in. I walked into a comedy show with no problem, and a skating show.

The AquaTheater shows were not yet ready on our cruise, and neither was Hairspray, so we didn't get to see it, but I will be back for a regular passenger cruise December 1st and I will be able to tell you then how things work.

The Royal Promenade is a wonderfully impressive place - so huge, with free pastries and coffee, free pizza etc. There is also shopping there and the famous cupcake emporium ($2.50 apiece). They were good cupcakes if you like such things. but they also have FREE donuts out on the Boardwalk and they are very tasty.

I did not get a chance to try some of the eateries I wanted because we did not have time, such as the SeaShack or 150 Central Park, but I will be trying them on our next voyage.

We did eat the Solarium spa cuisine and it is excellent healthy food. You can eat vegetarian or even macrobiotic in there if you wanted to.

The dining room was surprisingly well run, even with only one room. Our passenger contingent was only about half capacity, from what I hear, but we had NO waits or service glitches.

All of the staff were SO friendly. I have been on new ships before where you could see the staff was totally frustrated with the new system - even saying it was bad and didn't work well. Not on Oasis - the staff was as excited as we were as passengers. It is that kind of ship. Just so likable.

One area they really invigorated over the freedom-class was the deck 4 below the Royal Promenade. That now has the Jazz club and comedy club, as well as a dance club and Studio B, the ice rink. People were down there and really milling around, as well as in the promenade.

The "neighborhood" concept really works great - you do feel like you can hang out in one area for awhile and then move on. There is no hurry to get anywhere all at once - except maybe dinner. But we hear that about 75% OF GUESTS OPT for anytime dining, so that should alleviate some of the rush.

Please visit my picture gallery here: Cruise Ship Pictures - CruiseMates Cruise Photos Gallery
to see more of the ship. I also have a previous gallery listed in a higher message.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default video

YouTube - SANY0012.MP4

here is a short video just to show the scope of the ship....
Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Preview of AquaTheater Show!

This video is just a very short bit from a non-dress rehearsal of one of the future AquaTheater shows on Oasis. It is only a minute long but it gives you an idea of the drama the shows will entail - beyond just high dives and :synchronized swimming. The same people that do "Le Reve" at the Wynn and "Eau" by Cirque D Soliel are responsible for this show.

The theater pool is 24 feet deep, and the dive platforms are 33 and and almost 60 feet tall.

Here we see of the amazing aqua stage effects (hydraulics) and some of the great producing and directing involved in the show. I am sire it will be spectacular when it is finally in shape.

The AquaTheater alone cost several millions of dollars and is just one of the entertainment venues on Oasis of the Seas.

We also had a chance to see the ice show rehearsals. This ship will give you three TRUE Las Vegas or Broadway quality shows all included in the price of admission. If that doesn't make this show more of a value per cruise dollar then I don't know what does.

I just have to say I am continued to be astounded by how much Royal Caribbean packed into this ship. And to say cruising is not "all inclusive" - if you just think about the tings you don't pay for that you would pay for on land in Las Vegas or New York for example, I think this is a great deal!

YouTube - AquaTheater-rehearsal.WMV

There is the link
Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Paul,
Your pics are amazing. If the ship is half as amazing as that, cruisers will be in for a suprise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Paul, I would love to hear your impression of the Aqua Cabins with the 270degree balcony that overlook the Aqua Theatre. Really interested in how you think the cabin layout works and whether they are noisy all the time; not just during the show.

thanks,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well... I have a Central Park cabin and I found the noise coming through the windows was very low, but then again Central Park does not have a lot of noise outside, not like the boardwalk likely will.

I will have a better idea once I do the December 1st cruise, We did nto have any AquaTheater shows on my cruise, just quiet dress rehearsals.

I would still imagine that if you got one of those cabins you really would not mind what noice there might be - because you balcny would have such an incredible view of the stage.

You know the pool is 24 feet deep, and they have ways for actors to jump in a "disappear" under water. In "La Reve" they actually have scuba gear underwater so people can breath while they are in the "wings" under water. From those AquaThetare balcony cabins you would be able to see a lot of the underwater action which would make it that much more interesting.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On GMA, the water show looked amazing....how long are you on the ship Paul...you might as well just stay on till Dec 1st Have fun!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
First Mate

Great pictures. Looks like you are have a great time. Can't wait to see more pics.
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I wanted to add a new album, but the boards picture albums are not working. I did put one up in our old gallery. We unfortunastely still have some technical glitches from our attack a few weeks ago believe it or not. i still don't have the ability to upload files.

Anyway - I am going BACK on Oasis on Monday to focus on entertainment and dining so I will have plenty more pictures then.
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your pictures and comments. I am enjoying as if was there, so thanksĦĦĦĦ :-)
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
First Mate

Question: I would think that any of the balcony cabins inside facing either central park or boardwalk would actually be challenging cabins to have as anyone can see into your cabin either from those down below or those directly across from you?

I see these cabins as similar problems that the Royal Promenade cabins have, whereby you end up having your shades drawn so you can have your privacy; therefore, kind of pointless. Yes, I'll agree people watching from your balcony may be entertaining; however, you definitely give up the privacy.

Personnally, I'll stick with the ocean facing cabins as I wouldn't enjoy the lack of privacy.
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Admiral

The "inside" balconies are indeed completely devoid of privacy. The worst are those highest up, and on the ends. I was literally just a few feet away from these while looking down at them from the pool deck. It was noteworthy that I rarely saw anyone on those balconies. I know I'd never consider one. Noise can be an issue too, especially on the Boardwalk with the incessant carousel organ music and smells from the Seafood Shack.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Talking Fantastic!

Thanks so much Paul for the wonderful highlights. I just can't get enough pictures and video's...AND...I don't even have an upcoming cruise booked. (so sad.) Thanks again!
Mary

Old December 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Oasis Bridge Pictures - from our tour of the bridge.

Here are some more pictures for you. I had a little problem with the albums I couldn't figure out for awhile there.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=5235