Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM
Captain

Default Attention Air Miles Collectors (Canada)

I was just on the Air Miles website and Royal Caribbean now accepts Air Miles! SWEET!

I have been tempted to try an RCL cruise, maybe this will push me a little more to try one. Although Carnival has made me a happy customer of them as well. Decisions, decisions

Krunch
Eastern Caribbean - Dream (B2B) - November, 2013 (Our Wedding)
Mexician Riviera - Spirit - November, 2011
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Accepts airmiles? Or gives airmiles?

Gotta check that out!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Cool! I never though of using my airmiles for a cruise. We have close to 22K airmiles, and I'm not sure what I've been saving them for. I wonder if this would be a wise way to use them? It might be cheaper to redeem the airmiles for free groceries (or something) and get a deal on booking the cruise?

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Admiral

I'll have to check that out. I deal with Aerplan as that is what our company gives and takes but personally I also collect Air Miles.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:39 PM
Captain

Queen,

RCL ACCEPTS Air Miles as payment for your cruise.

22K Air Miles! Good for you! Off the top of my head, I think you might have MORE than enough for two people, with flights via Air Canada or Westjet and be able to jump on Oasis or Allure for 7 days in a balcony room for FREE (Plus taxes and fees of course), which, based on our last cruise might be only $200 - $300 pp. Check it out!

We're back up to 11K again right now, we collect abour 10K to 12K on average each year.

Felix,

WRT Air Miles Vs. Aeroplan, typically it seems to be like an argument of who's better, Chevy or Ford. Opinons are often split. We like Air Miles and out here in Manitoba, it SEEMS to be the better option. I actually spoke to a Carnival rep on Freedon last week from Canada trying to figure out if the Carnival certificates would be a good choice for us and use them towards the taxes and fees. Our conversation went more into a discussion about Air Miles as she was from Ontario, she was a collector, but she didn't put much effort into collecting them as in her opinion she thought she was only collecting a few here and there from the liquor stores in Ontario. Here in Manitoba it's pretty easy to collect Air Miles through Safeway. Our number 2 winner is our BMO Gold Mastercard, and finally, we buy all our gas at Shell. They add up quickly for us.

Nothing wrong with a free cruise, especially if you can't win one at Bingo !

Krunch
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I don't disagree with you. I collect both vigoriously. I used Aeroplan last October for first class flights to Europe for our cruise.

I've used my Air Miles to fly to Winnipeg (I lived there forever) and Vancouver.

It's just that I am a TA and we are partnered with Aeroplan.

I just called Air Miles to see what is what. (and so I can compare.) I checked our next cruise, Allure. I asked about for a balcony. The balcony guarantee is $1,024 plus taxes $266.77 per person. Using all my airmiles (over 14K) it would still cost me $700 for 2 of us. That's about 1/3 of the cost. I know for aeroplan it is $500 for every 59,000 aeroplan miles. Therefore it would take about 180K aeroplan to get to the same place. I guess it's apples to oranges.

My biggest beef calling them - they held me for 18 minutes took my information then another 10 to give me the information I asked for. I just recieved an automated call from them now wanting me to do a customer satisfaction survey - I didn't like the call. I don't like calls like that if I don't give permission for them to call me back.

Anyway, whichever is most advantageous to me is what I would use.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 21st, 2011, 04:53 PM
Admiral

11K to 12K a year? WOW! WE collect from LCBO, Metro, and AMEX (mostly). I know there are a few more because we get gold status every year. I don't know how long its been, but my 22K has been accumulating for a while.

It amazes me how many people don't collect airmiles. Even if you use it for nothing other than free groceries it is worthwhile.

I don't collect aeroplan. I hate air canada, and avoid at all costs! I have a CIBC divident platinum visa, and a TD gold visa .... they give me CASH I prefer to charge everything to those cards.

Your allure example doesn't sound tooo bad ... except, I would rather drive across the border and fly Southwest. I'd hate to think my airmiles were being wasted on a flight. Do the prices they quote include airfare? I assumed they didnt. If they did, then its probably not a bad deal.

I noticed too that you had to call and talk to an agent. ... it would be nice if you could self-book and see prices on line.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Admiral

No, it didn't include air. We only fly out of YYZ when we are going to Europe. Although we used our Aeroplan we didn't fly air canada - we fly lufthansa. You can fly any airline in the Star Alliance.

Normally we do fly Southwest - much easier for us to drive across the river than to YYZ.

It's very difficult to book a cruise online - too many variables. With us you can usually inquire online and get your info back in an email. I didn't see that option with Air Miles.

I stayed on the line but normally would have hung up. 18 mintes is far too long to wait just to be answered.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I don't disagree with you. I collect both vigoriously. I used Aeroplan last October for first class flights to Europe for our cruise.

I've used my Air Miles to fly to Winnipeg (I lived there forever) and Vancouver.

It's just that I am a TA and we are partnered with Aeroplan.

I just called Air Miles to see what is what. (and so I can compare.) I checked our next cruise, Allure. I asked about for a balcony. The balcony guarantee is $1,024 plus taxes $266.77 per person. Using all my airmiles (over 14K) it would still cost me $700 for 2 of us. That's about 1/3 of the cost. I know for aeroplan it is $500 for every 59,000 aeroplan miles. Therefore it would take about 180K aeroplan to get to the same place. I guess it's apples to oranges.

My biggest beef calling them - they held me for 18 minutes took my information then another 10 to give me the information I asked for. I just recieved an automated call from them now wanting me to do a customer satisfaction survey - I didn't like the call. I don't like calls like that if I don't give permission for them to call me back.

Anyway, whichever is most advantageous to me is what I would use.
Unless someone sat down and really crunched the numbers on it, your spending habits, etc, I would say roughly the two are very similar. I've never collected Aeroplan miles, but can you use Aeroplan miles for cruises? I think there is a voucher you can but with your aeroplan miles that you could apply to your cruise. Not sure.

Basically, the second last trip we booked on Carnival Miracle, (yes, bit of a wait time on the phone) the travel agent basically said that 7 Air Miles equals $1.00 CAD. But here in Manitoba, some weeks we can go to Safeway and buy 6 boxes of cereal and get a bonus 100 Air miles which is basically worth a little over $14.00 So again, for us, Safeway, MasterCard Gold, and Shell gas are our big reward places. We used ALL our Airmiles, not quite a year ago, and we are about to hit 12,000 again in less than a year. Prices are still "Plus taxes and fees" but I think I found a way to even help that. On our last cruise we bought 2 X $100 ship certificates (not sure if RCL has a similar program) They said I can use there certificates to go towards my taxes and fees for our next cruise, so that reduces the taxes and fees, plus, Carnival will match the value of the certificate as shipboard credit. Again, this might be a good suplement to Air Miles or Aeroplan.

Krunch
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
11K to 12K a year? WOW! WE collect from LCBO, Metro, and AMEX (mostly). I know there are a few more because we get gold status every year. I don't know how long its been, but my 22K has been accumulating for a while.

It amazes me how many people don't collect airmiles. Even if you use it for nothing other than free groceries it is worthwhile.

I don't collect aeroplan. I hate air canada, and avoid at all costs! I have a CIBC divident platinum visa, and a TD gold visa .... they give me CASH I prefer to charge everything to those cards.

Your allure example doesn't sound tooo bad ... except, I would rather drive across the border and fly Southwest. I'd hate to think my airmiles were being wasted on a flight. Do the prices they quote include airfare? I assumed they didnt. If they did, then its probably not a bad deal.

I noticed too that you had to call and talk to an agent. ... it would be nice if you could self-book and see prices on line.
Queen, I kinda hear ya WRT Air Canada. Given the option to choose (if dates, times, and airports line up) we prefer WestJet. But honestly, at the end of the day, I honestly don't give a crap. All airplanes are nothing more than flying buses. The entertainment options on the seatback screens may vary from one airline to the next, but big deal, I'll watch a movie on my netbook or listen to my MP3 player, and I'm more than happy. WRT first class, while a bigger chair would be nice as I am a bigger person but for the extra cost? Hundred's of dollars to upgrade a chair for a few hours? Again, no thanx.

WRT driving south of the border for a flight? I too am fortunate in that respect living about 2.5 hours from the international airport in Minot, North Dakota. It's a tiny airport with smaller planes, but they got us there only a few weeks ago as I bought a 6-Day cruise for the gf for Christmas. I decided to pay 100% cash for flights and cruise Vs. Air Miles mostly as I had a better chance of keeping it secret from the gf that way. The bonus was I earned about 200 Air Miles as I charged the whole trip, cruise and flights to my Gold MasterCard WRT the flight cost, not bad I guess, about $590 all included return, per person from Minot, ND to Fort Lauderdale.

Krunch
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
No, it didn't include air. We only fly out of YYZ when we are going to Europe. Although we used our Aeroplan we didn't fly air canada - we fly lufthansa. You can fly any airline in the Star Alliance.

Normally we do fly Southwest - much easier for us to drive across the river than to YYZ.

It's very difficult to book a cruise online - too many variables. With us you can usually inquire online and get your info back in an email. I didn't see that option with Air Miles.

I stayed on the line but normally would have hung up. 18 mintes is far too long to wait just to be answered.
You're right, if you book a cruise with Air Miles, you MUST call a TA there. HOWEVER, I have known for a while that you could book flights via the Aeroplan website and now Air Miles has that as well. BUT you would still have to call them to book the cruise I will say this, Air Miles has it's own seperate site for just Carnival that lists the majority, if not all their cruises and at least shows you how many Air Miles you need for the cruise AND how much the taxes and fees are. So at least you know before you call them how many miles you need to cruise. For RCL cruises on the other hand, they only list a couple cruises, the rest you would have to call. Hopefully some day you can book it all online and avoid the wait times holding for a TA.

Krunch
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Yes, you can definitely book cruises with all the cruiselines through us using your Aeroplan miles. You need to put down the deposit then you submit the certificates by email to "us". Very easy process. At the same time you are paying your cruise with aeroplan miles you are earning aeroplan miles.

I suppose both programs are very similar however here in Ontario you can earn aeroplan miles in a lot more places than Air Miles. I am a gold collector with Air Miles but their add ons for "taxes and fees" are very high I find compared to aeroplan so I save the Air Miles for longer flights where the cost is worth it.

I didn't know Minot had an international airport. But it's still a 2.5 hour drive. We only have 30 miles to Buffalo so much better to fly out of there.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Captain

Quote:
Yes, you can definitely book cruises with all the cruiselines through us using your Aeroplan miles. You need to put down the deposit then you submit the certificates by email to "us". Very easy process. At the same time you are paying your cruise with aeroplan miles you are earning aeroplan miles.

I suppose both programs are very similar however here in Ontario you can earn aeroplan miles in a lot more places than Air Miles. I am a gold collector with Air Miles but their add ons for "taxes and fees" are very high I find compared to aeroplan so I save the Air Miles for longer flights where the cost is worth it.

I didn't know Minot had an international airport. But it's still a 2.5 hour drive. We only have 30 miles to Buffalo so much better to fly out of there.
A friend of mine lives in Toronto area and over 10 years ago he said Aeroplan is the better deal in Ontario. Maybe it still is. Now here's something to consider. Out here, Safeway is an Air Miles sponsor as I said. I am originally from Newfoundland and Sobeys is the Air Miles sponsor out there. Over the years, Sobeys has been working it's way west from Atlantic Canada and have been in some Ontario cities now for some time. Do you have a Sobeys nearby, and do they offer Air Miles? Something to check into if you want, there may be some value in it.

WRT the taxes and fees, I haven't found that with Carnival at least. It has been my experience that if I open the Carnival site and the Air Miles site, they are very similar for a total price. Example: Just looked up a 7-day out of New Orleans for February 5th, 2012 on the Airmiles site, balcony says, $585 + $222 taxes and fees pp = $807. Went to the Carnival site and looked up the same cruise and it's $739 + $61.83 taxes and fees pp = $800.83. So that's less than $7 difference. Now maybe there are other cruises I could have compared that would have defended your argument a little more and affected the bottom line more, but we have noticed this since 2006 and after booking 3 cruises through Air Miles that the total on the bottom line is very close.

I'll try and supply the links to my example, but not sure if they will work...

Air Miles:
http://airmiles.carnivalcruise.ca/cc...ruise=23826502

Carnival:
http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngin...st=N&stateCode=

WRT us flying out of North Dakota, yes, it is 2.5 hours, but we're in Brandon which is 2 hours from Winnipeg. So if I was paying for my flights I would go North Dakota for the extra 30 minutes of driving which also allows me to bring back beer (we prefer beer of liquor and wine) duty free as I wouldn't dare back 2 X 24 packs in my luggage out of the US. A full tank of cheap US gas in our car, and weekly parking in Minot is $37 Vs the $75 in Winnipeg

Krunch
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunch View Post
A friend of mine lives in Toronto area and over 10 years ago he said Aeroplan is the better deal in Ontario. Maybe it still is. Now here's something to consider. Out here, Safeway is an Air Miles sponsor as I said. I am originally from Newfoundland and Sobeys is the Air Miles sponsor out there. Over the years, Sobeys has been working it's way west from Atlantic Canada and have been in some Ontario cities now for some time. Do you have a Sobeys nearby, and do they offer Air Miles? Something to check into if you want, there may be some value in it.

WRT the taxes and fees, I haven't found that with Carnival at least. It has been my experience that if I open the Carnival site and the Air Miles site, they are very similar for a total price. Example: Just looked up a 7-day out of New Orleans for February 5th, 2012 on the Airmiles site, balcony says, $585 + $222 taxes and fees pp = $807. Went to the Carnival site and looked up the same cruise and it's $739 + $61.83 taxes and fees pp = $800.83. So that's less than $7 difference. Now maybe there are other cruises I could have compared that would have defended your argument a little more and affected the bottom line more, but we have noticed this since 2006 and after booking 3 cruises through Air Miles that the total on the bottom line is very close.

I'll try and supply the links to my example, but not sure if they will work...

Air Miles:
http://airmiles.carnivalcruise.ca/cc...ruise=23826502

Carnival:
http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngin...st=N&stateCode=

WRT us flying out of North Dakota, yes, it is 2.5 hours, but we're in Brandon which is 2 hours from Winnipeg. So if I was paying for my flights I would go North Dakota for the extra 30 minutes of driving which also allows me to bring back beer (we prefer beer of liquor and wine) duty free as I wouldn't dare back 2 X 24 packs in my luggage out of the US. A full tank of cheap US gas in our car, and weekly parking in Minot is $37 Vs the $75 in Winnipeg

Krunch
We have Sobey's here. That's where I do the majority of my shopping. They have their own points program but they convert to Aeroplan. I also use my CIBC card and Esso for my gas.

For Air Miles we have the Metro store (formerly A&P), Shell and MC and American Express.

The last time I priced air with Air Miles, their taxes and fees were higher and they agreed with me. It's what they charg to make money. That's fine - I don't have a problem with that.

If Air Miles works for you - great - the only reason it doesn't work for me right now is because I am a TA and the company I work for doesn't work with them.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Maybe I need to revisit aeroplan. You can get aeroplan at stores? I though you could only get aeroplan from flying Air CAnada (which I rarely do unless flying for business to Ottawa or Montreal) or from using a CIBC Aerogold Visa.

I didn't know you could get aeroplan anywhere else.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Maybe I need to revisit aeroplan. You can get aeroplan at stores? I though you could only get aeroplan from flying Air CAnada (which I rarely do unless flying for business to Ottawa or Montreal) or from using a CIBC Aerogold Visa.

I didn't know you could get aeroplan anywhere else.

That was how it started but now there are a number of ways of converting/collecting. Esso, Sobey's and there are a lot of restaurants in the Toronto area. I just don't have a list of them. I'll see if I can find where else you can collect.

My thoughts - I have aeroplan, air miles, southwest and delta loyalty cards. Oh yea and the Bay which can be converted to air miles. They don't cost me anything to enroll so I just collect. If I get to use them sweet, if I don't I'm not out of pocket. As of now, I have used business class air to Athens/Rome, several flights to Vancouver and Winnipeg, (although I don't find air miles are worth using anymore on my flights to Winnipeg) I have a free flight waiting to be used with Delta and the same with Avion. I'll use them sometime before 2012. Therefore I believe it's worth my while to have the loyalty cards.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Admiral

I looked into points.com awhile back to convert my esso points to hbc rewards .... I think my end goal was to end up as airmiles. But there were some restriction that converted points could not be further converted.

I have a TON of esso rewards. I also collect SDM points.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
I looked into points.com awhile back to convert my esso points to hbc rewards .... I think my end goal was to end up as airmiles. But there were some restriction that converted points could not be further converted.

I have a TON of esso rewards. I also collect SDM points.
Quite a while ago we set up the option to transfer HBC (Zellers here) points to Air Miles. Basically how it works is that as soon as enough HBC points accumulate for an Air Mile, the transaction happens automatically. So I suggest you setup your HBC to Air Miles first, then setup your ESSO points to go over to HBC. From there they should end up as Air Miles.

One thing to note, I suspect that there will be some loss in value transitioning your points. Especially in your case as it will happen twice. Maybe call HBC and ask them how many points equal 1 Air Mile. Then call ESSO and ask how many points equal 1 HBC point. Then calculate how many Air Miles the end result is worth, and make your decision if its worth it.

If memory serves me correctly, 40 HBC points equals 1 Air Mile, but don't quote me on that.

Krunch
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Great advice, thanks! I don't really shop zellers that much (I tend to favour walmart for convenience). I have a few hbc rewards .... not sure how many. I will look into having those automatically converted.

so what happens now that Target bought Zellers. I guess no more hbc rewards there, huh? I'ts probably wise to close off those rewards soon.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Admiral

I would assume we will lose the ability to collect at Zellers but I do very little shopping there so I'm not too concerned. What I am unhappy about is having Target up here. I'm so tired of U.S. stores taking over Canadian stores.

I can't stand Walmart and won't shop there. It was much better when it was Woolco.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Captain

Yes, I would bail out those HBC points now while you can, just as well get something for them, even if its only a few Air Miles, every one counts. I only get a couple everytime I fill up at Shell, but they do add up.

Zellers, Target, meh, whatever, we rarely shop at Zellers but we do hit up Target in the US sometimes. I prefer Walmart and contrary to felix, I really don't give a crap of who buys who, I see that with medical companies every day in my profession and when it all comes down to it may the best man win. If Walmart has a better business model than Zellers or Target, good for them, all I care about is me, the consumer. Sorry felix

Krunch
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Really? I love Target, and Wal-mart too! I remember Woolco, but don't remember it as anything great. Most of the stores were old and run-down .... kinda like Zellers!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Woolco was good it's its heyday but then it went downhill until Walmart bought it out. I do classify it with Zellers. Zellers is good for certain things - but not much. Walmart - I just don't feel comfortable in their stores. Basically I don't like big box stores.

I knew something was going to happen with Zellers. When HBC sold out to an American outfit it stood to reason Zellers would be going down the road too.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:35 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Well, the same kind of thought is running in my mind. I'm also looking for some airmiles websites who accept Air Miles. Looking for some valuable suggestion.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:35 PM
Captain

All the Air Miles sponsors (including online stores) are listed on their website at www.airmiles.ca

Krunch