Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Royal Caribbean Orders Two All New Ships

2-1-11
Royal Caribbean Orders Two All New Ships
Royal Caribbean has signed a letter of intent with shipyard Meyer Werft (Papaenburg, germany) to build the first of a new generation of Royal Caribbean ships. Developed under the code-name "Project Sunshine," the new vessel design incorporates new and exciting features that take advantage of the best of Royal Caribbean's experience and imagination. The project is a result of over a year of dedicated research and development.

The order calls for one ship to be delivered in the Fall of 2014 with an option for a second ship for Spring 2015. The 158,000 Gross Registered Tons (GRT) new build will carry just over 4,100 guests based on double occupancy. The estimated all-in cost per berth is about 170,000. (This comes close 700 Euro or $1billion). This all-in cost includes the yard's base contract price plus everything needed to design, operate and build the vessel, from architect fees to supervision costs and all loose inventories from computers to art and bed linens.

"Royal Caribbean has worked hard to earn a reputation of offering the most innovative ships in the cruise industry and this next generation will not disappoint," said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. "While we continue our policy of keeping our newest ideas and features under wraps during the early stages of construction, I can say that I am very excited about the passion and imagination that our teams have devoted to the project. Project Sunshine builds on the best ideas of our existing ships and adds exciting new activities and entertainment concepts.

It will offer features for everyone: from grand, spectacular spaces to small intimate settings; from active, invigorating activities to the serenity of more personal space; and from a plethora of dining alternatives to a cornucopia of opportunities for families. I am also excited about the energy efficiency and environmental technologies which have been incorporated. Our existing ships are some of the most energy efficient in the world and Project Sunshine takes this one further step.

Based on our over 20 years of experience with Meyer Werft, along with their compelling proposal, we know they will deliver on all of the innovations Royal Caribbean's guests have come to expect."

"Meyer Werft is pleased to be working with Royal Caribbean especially in light of their reputation for building such innovative ships. I am very happy we are continuing our long time partnership with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and its brand Royal Caribbean International. Their projects always present incredible opportunities for Meyer Werft to create the latest cutting edge hardware in the cruise industry," said Bernard Meyer, managing partner of Meyer Werft shipyard.
The letter of intent is subject to customary conditions being satisfactorily met.
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sunshine Class - what do you think?

I spoke to Lisa bauer and she told me some things about the new ships:

There will still be rock climbing and flo-riders.

It will have a British Pub, Sambas (churasscaria), Italian Cucina, Rita's Cantina.

Dreamworks will be incorporated, along with 3-D movies - but not in the main showlounge. Expect more Broadway shows there.

There is a good chance there will be a large singles area (they are not revealing all yet), but she said they were impressed with what NCL did on Epic with singles.

Look for new materials, especially in the staterooms. new polymers, doors, windows, etc. The goal is high energy efficiency and faster cleaning.

Any other thoughts?
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I find it hard to believe, it's been since 2000, that I sailed RCI,and I am such an atrium gal, that surprises me...can they build them faster please

I love that name....Project Sunshine..I am smiling already!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Captain

Gives me time to shoot for Pinnacle level!
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I like the fact that they have "downsized", if you can call 158,000 grt downsizing.

I do look forward to seeing what they come up with. The single cabins are going to be a feature on many newbuilds. They are selling out on Epic.

I used to say "I wonder if they are going to overbuild and not have the passengers to fill the new ships." They keep building and they keep filling the ships. They must know what they are doing and if they keep giving people what they want they will continue to fill the ships.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Paul, thanks for the info.

I do like RCL and now we will have a couple more new ships to try out.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yeah but 4100 passenger berths on a ship this size is getting close to Norwegian Epic crowding.

The key word is consolidation from now on - Princess and NCL are doing it. too. More passengers per ship = more efficiency.

Doesn't mean it won't be a nice ship, though. let me put it this way, I would rather sail on this new ship than Norwegoan Epic (about the same passenger/space ratio) but Norwegian Epic is ugly and crowded.

If anything, RCL has really learned how to build beautiful and utile ships. If anyone can handle crowding it is RCL - they are very good at crowd flow.
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

They will probably have their first "reveal" in about a week
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Project Sunshine sounds wonderful....I'm wondering if these will be a newer Radiance type of ship with all the latest bells and whistles??

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Yeah but 4100 passenger berths on a ship this size is getting close to Norwegian Epic crowding.

The key word is consolidation from now on - Princess and NCL are doing it. too. More passengers per ship = more efficiency.

Doesn't mean it won't be a nice ship, though. let me put it this way, I would rather sail on this new ship than Norwegoan Epic (about the same passenger/space ratio) but Norwegian Epic is ugly and crowded.

If anything, RCL has really learned how to build beautiful and utile ships. If anyone can handle crowding it is RCL - they are very good at crowd flow.
I could not agree more with what Paul says about RCL being able to manage crowding. My wife and I are both major Carnival cruisers with DW reaching VIP status on our next Carnival cruise in ten days. We sailed on RCL's Oasis last May and were very impressed. Even though we spent a week with about 6,000 of our closest friends, we NEVER felt crowded. Not a single time. I really don't know how they do it but Oasis felt far less crowded than a Conquest Class ship on Carnival.

Read and post cruise reviews
NCL - Pride of America - May 2011
Carnival Elation - February 2011
Carnival Elation - November 2010
Carnival Dream - October 2010
RCL Oasis of the Seas - May/June 2010
Carnival Fantasy - April 2010
HAL Ryndam - September 2009
Carnival Holiday - May 2009
Carnival Celebration - April 5, 2008
Carnival Liberty - May 2007
Carnival Miracle - April 2006
Windjammer Fantome - 1987
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Familiar Face

Maybe because I either sail with my DH or solo most of the time (our kids sail once a year with us) but bigger ships and more bells and whistles just don't appeal to me. The largest ship I like is Voyager class although I've enjoyed a cruising on the Freedom class ships, as well. My favorite is the Radiance class. When RCL announces new ships being built I get a little twinge of concern that they will sell off some of their smaller ships but I suppose if they did it would be the Vision or Sovereign class ships that would go first.
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Admiral

I haven't been on the Allure yet so my opinion is based on observation and speaking to those who have. I will have my opinion at the end of the month. Now, from those I have talked to who have sailed Oasis class (mostly my clients) they enjoyed their cruise, they found the ships fasinating - but they will not sail them a second time.

Which leads me to say I'm am so glad they have gone to a "smaller" ship for their newbuild. The singles rooms are ideal. I believe they have learned from NCL and probably their own research, there is a vast untapped segment of the population out there that are singles and would cruise - but are not willing to be penalized for not having a partner. And I agree.........they want more passengers - they need more passengers - this is definitely the way to go.

As for the newbuild, I do hope it's more in line with the Radiance class. That's my favourite style of ship. I also hope there is more adult oriented areas where children can't go.........I don't hate kids I just don't want to be constantly tripping over the little darlin's.

I also believe the last 2 Soviergn class will be moved to Pulmatar. Don't forget the Vision for example, was built in 1998 and have never had a refurb. There is no CL no extra dining - nothing. How long will they hold onto that one and the Legend?

Whichever way this goes, I always wonder if RCL is getting themselves into a big financial bind. The economy isn't back yet - certainly not in the U.S. They haven't finished paying for the Oasis class and now they are committing to more?

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I haven't been on the Allure yet so my opinion is based on observation and speaking to those who have. I will have my opinion at the end of the month. Now, from those I have talked to who have sailed Oasis class (mostly my clients) they enjoyed their cruise, they found the ships fasinating - but they will not sail them a second time.
I have sailed on the Oasis and the Allure and I plan to sail on them again. As a matter of fact, I booked another Oasis cruise while on he Allure.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I have sailed on the Oasis and the Allure and I plan to sail on them again. As a matter of fact, I booked another Oasis cruise while on he Allure.

TM

I have no doubt there are those such as yourself, who love the ships and will sail over and over but at the same time there are a lot who will not go a second time. They want a cruise not a resort so no matter how much they enjoyed each and everyon told me they didn't feel as if they were on a cruise.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife loved Oasis and would go back in a heartbeat. I also like the ships a lot and would go back - when the prices drop.

Now - what about the Project Sunshine class? That NAME says to me they are going to coninue with the split stateroom designs - but the keyword they keep bandying about is "efficiency" so I predict they will combine Central Park and the Boardwalk, and make it mostly a boardwalk. Central Park is NOT efficient - as a use of space.

I also predict the Royal Promenade will go back to two decks - three is too much. It is beautiful on Oasis, but they didnt really gain that much by making it three decks tall.

I also predict "serenity" adult areas - because more crowding makes it more profitable to sell "exclusivity," I also predict far more spa cabins, because it is a way to upsell without offering that much more (look at what they are doing with the new Celebrity ships).

There will be a big exclusive singles area with small cabins and a private lounge.

I think they will isolate the kids even more, too, because adults don't want to see a bunch of them all over the ship.

I know what they will keep:

rock climbing,
flo-riders
miniature golf
Sambas grill
Ritas Cantina
zip-lining
ice rink

Another guess - that they move the Royal promenade a few decks higher and put balcony cabins below it.

Have you seen how low balcony cabins are getting? Look at this pic of Carnival Fascination I just took ...

(I know its Carnival. but the point is that they are now doing it).

So, I predict balcony cabins below the Royal Promenade, a smaller 2-deck Royal Promenade, and a larger Boardwalk with no Central Park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02557.jpg (52.4 KB, 18 views)
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Aftrer seeing the Solo Cabins on the Epic,and how much people loved them, it's a safe bet there will bve many more to come onb other lines and I think that's just great..Loyal single cruisers have been overlooked too long,and allowing them to, not share,and, get a good rate, is great word of mouth advertising...

Old February 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hope these large ships (>4000 pax) find another home than Fort Lauderdale. Since the Oasis & Allure arrived in FLL, going through customs has been an ordeal. What was my favorite port for arrivals has turned into 2-3 hour from leaving a ship to the airport, which I can almost walk too.

Paul
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Familiar Face

You aren't Paul the editor posting under a more colorful name, are you?

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Admiral

I'm probably going to put a hex on myself here, but I've never had a problem getting though customs and immigration on Fort Lauderdale. I'm usually at the airport by 8-8:30.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenjammer View Post
You aren't Paul the editor posting under a more colorful name, are you?
No. Paul is a common name. And the editor is not old enough for the title Old Fart.

The old fart, Paul

Quote:
I'm probably going to put a hex on myself here, but I've never had a problem getting though customs and immigration on Fort Lauderdale. I'm usually at the airport by 8-8:30.
Felix, you probably walk off with your luggage or tell the cruiseline you have an early flight. If you got off w/the masses it would be different. Let us know how it is for you after your Feb 27th cruise. The Allure gets into FLL w/8 other ships on Sunday mornings. Got off a ship on Feb 6th; took 2 1/2 hrs. It is not just customs, taxis are scarce since more & more pax are realizing a cab is a better deal that ships transfers.
Paul
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Admiral

The trickle down theory is all emcompassing. If you pre/ post crusie, the hotels and restaurants, are busier too...Add 2 more large ships within the next few years and Lauderdale will explode. This is my fave city too

Old February 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post

Felix, you probably walk off with your luggage or tell the cruiseline you have an early flight. If you got off w/the masses it would be different. Let us know how it is for you after your Feb 27th cruise. The Allure gets into FLL w/8 other ships on Sunday mornings. Got off a ship on Feb 6th; took 2 1/2 hrs. It is not just customs, taxis are scarce since more & more pax are realizing a cab is a better deal that ships transfers.
Paul
Yes, that's why I've made our flights for 2:30, much later than I normally do. If it was DH and I - it would be different but it's my SIL and I'm not sure she would schlep bags like we will.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Admiral

The other issue with FLL - hotels have doubled and tripled in price. Cabs are extremely dear however taking a cab from the port to the airport is still the best. I hate waiting for transfer buses.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Here are a few points that I will make.
1. the new sunshine class ship is the same size as Freedom class; but with more passengers
2. I loved the Allure of the Seas; I did think Central Park was a waste of space and never really used it; I did love the Boardwalk and spent time there. Even when the weather was chilly; the boardwalk was fine;
3. The rising tide bar is a novelty; something that may not last; once you've been on it; that's it; no so for the carousel on the boardwalk.
4. The taxi's in Ft. Lauderdale are still cheap; and our driver stopped at the Walgreens on the end of the port, so my wife could go shopping; after stopping for supplies the price still low
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Do you self-disembark to get to the airport so early?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Yes, we do. Mainly I don't like the lines up for customs. Usually we're among the first 3/4 to go thru so getting a cab is simple.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Admiral

However for this upcoming cruise on the Allure I don't have our flight until 2:30 so we can probably take our time getting off. I want to see just how bad it is when so many ships including Allure/Oasis are in.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We were on the Oasis the first of Feb. I never saw one single person on the rock climb. Granted most kids are in school so maybe that is why. The flow rider was very popular.
Central park at night was dead. We like walking through it at night. The restaurants were
dead at night in Central park. I wasn't impressed with the stores on board. I am not a shopper so I guess I am the last to commit on them. But I hardly would see people in the expensive stores shopping. Everyone would be there with the sales at the end of the trip.

I loved the art work all over the ship.

I am glad they are finally going to have single cabins.. Alot of people won't go because they have to pay for the extra person not in the room. My sister would of went with us but too much money for her.

Yes, I would go on this ship again. In fact, we are planning to go on the Allure 2013.