Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Seabourn
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Seabourn Odyssey/Seabourn smoking policy

I am strongly considering taking a cruise on this line for the first time. It would be an upcoming transatlantic starting out of Ft Lauderdale. From what I have read so far Seabourn seems to have a fairly liberal smoking policy compared to some other cruise lines. Smoking OK in all cabins etc.

Second hand smoke and even residual smoke smells in a cabin can be a problem for me.

So how is it on Seabourn in general and Odyssey if anyone knows.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default no residual odor

I have saied on all the Seabourn ships and have never smelled any residual smoke odor in the suites; I don't know what is used to rid of smoke but it works.
On Odessey there are many outside decks where smoking is allowed on the port sides; the sea air takes care of any smoke.
Enjoy your first Seabourn cruise (look on another board to see how to receive a $400.00 on-board credit for first-time sailors.)

Last edited by winner; January 14th, 2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamboatman

Seabourn is pretty fanatical about eliminating any hint of smoke...or any other order for that matter. I won't go into all that goes into that but it is pretty extensive.

I have a pretty keen nose and other than one section in the Observation Lounge on Deck 10 forward I don't think you will find anything objectionable.

Remember also there really aren't that many smokers anymore.
Old January 15th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well I cant comment on the problems of smoking on the big ships, as I have never been on them.
However on the small ships I have notched up a few days....so feel like I can add my comments.
I have actually notched up something like 160 plus days....in all that time I have never smelt any sign of smoking in the suite. I dont know if its true, but have been told that all drapes etc are taken out of a suite where a smoker has resided, and are cleaned or replaced for the next guest. Our suites have always been smoke free.

Sometimes we have smelt smoke in the hallways.....it actually doesnt bother us at all, but I can see that it certainly would bother some people.

I must say though, that the worst cruise we ever did as far as smoking was concerned was a Trans Atlantic Crossing. This was our only TA Crossing and we would hesitate to do another. We had just sailed for 72 days around South America, and didnt have any problems....then continued on to do a TA Crossing....... the smoking problem escalated on this Crossing. Its funny how each cruise can attract an entirely different group of people. On this cruise we couldnt go to "The Club" for drinks before dinner. The reason was because "The Club" was full of smokers. I believe that since then The Club has become a NO SMOKING area, so that is a problem that has been solved.
What I now read on CC etc. though, is that now the smokers have taken over the Observation Lounge...and Bar.....the Observation Lounges on all the ships, is an area where all guests should feel comfortable....have the best views......and is a great area to relax, either day or night......The smoking rules in this area is "only smoking on the Starboard side"....try telling the smoke that it has to stay on one side of the lounge!!
I really think it is time that Seabourn stopped all smoking in PUBLIC AREAS INDOORS......in areas like the Sky Bar etc, smoking shouldnt be a problem....but in indoor areas is obviously is a problem.

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Familiar Face

The only time I have smelt smoke on a Seabourn ship has been on Deck 5 of Odyssey outside the offices of the Hotel Manager, Maitre d' and cruise entertainment staff.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Familiar Face

I am also very sensitive to smoke and I dont remember it being a problem on my Seabourn cruise many years ago. These days not that many people smoke, and those who do are usualy polite about it.

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Katzenjammer...looking at your "cruising history" its a very long time since you sailed with Seabourn. Have you given any thought to trying them again one day? I would imagine there would be far less smoking today than what there was in 1995! It was almost still acceptable back then!

Old February 16th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Familiar Face

I have only sailed on the small ships & have never noticed residual smoke in the suite or in any indoor venue. I am fairly sensitive to it & annoyed by it.
The only problem we have experienced was cigar smokers at the Sky Bar.
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think that the smokers have to have an area, but it shouldnt be an indoor area. My biggest beef is the smoking in the "top deck lounge" (different name on each ship). This is such a lovely room to spend some hours in on sea days, and again on times like Panama Canal and Suez Canal, Amazon River we spend all day there. It is usually where trivia takes place and afternoon tea....but is spoilt by the smoke wafting from the starboard side of the lounge. We dont spend a lot of time at the Sky Bar, so smoking there hasnt really bothered us....however maybe some "smoking" tables should be set up over near the rail, so the actual bar is kept smoke free......

Old April 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

oh....just noticed the previous poster is listed as BANNED!!! Why? whats the gossip? Is she/he as bad a Granny was on CC???

Old April 26th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

She had a signature to a site selling cigarettes.
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

nah....you are just pulling my leg Boatman!

Old April 27th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

It's just "smoke" & mirrors! (Seriously, that was the reason. She/he/it posted the link on a number of threads. I am surprised CM hasn't pulled the post, actually.)