Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Eric

Just because they are not owned by Carnival does not mean they are not 'owned' by Carnival. I do not OWN a Subway sandwich shop (franchisee) However I own a Subway sandwich shop, L.L.C. Well realy Doctors Associates INC. OWNS our sandwich shop. Do you think these guys would be in business as large as they are without the 'backing' of Carnival? But there are so very MANY ways to tangle the legal crapola. Especially with different countries doing business. But if Carnival is printing maps, shopping talks etc.. well there is most certainly a connection 'Recomended Shops' Otherwise, why would they? Kinda like NFL, NASCAR, U.S.A Olymipcs all 'recomend' Subway as a place to eat. Wonder why? Felt that on our very first cruise with the promotions/gimics with DI. Follow the $ I always say. So sorry you had a bad experiance with the company though. I never liked the forced to buy here and feel safe talks in every port for these guys. They are a good deal for jewelry I feel overall. But you can be when you have that kind of volume, as with any industry. I hope they follow up with Big Industry Customer Service for you.
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs down Do not buy ANYTHING from ANY Diamonds International

D I does not return calls for or answer customer service inquiries. They sell shoddy jewelry and refuse to repair it ("your warranty is up" after 3 weeks). D I sized my ring before I left the store, causing multiple diamonds to fall out. Do not buy from here, and do not trust your cruise line to stand behind you; they do NOT! Royal Caribbean and Celebrity did not. VISA was no help with a dispute, even though I won my dispute, they were unable to get the money out of D I's account because it's in the Caribbean. Do not get suckered into buying from D I, and do not believe your cruise line...they DON'T stand behind you.
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Admiral

I can't blame this on DI because I don't remember the store.

I had tried on a ring that I fell in love with but it was too small. It was a channel setting with diamonds all around the band like an eternity band. I suspected it would be very hard to size a ring like this - basically softening/stretch the gold to make it a bit bigger because it would weaken the channels or create a spot where there was no diamond. I'm sure it can be done, but its not a job to be rushed with a customer waiting to make it back to the ship.

The store insisted on try to make it fit on my finger, but it wasn't going on (nor did I want to be stuck buying it because they forced it on). Then they offered to size while I waited but I declined. THey really did not want me walking out of that store.

Came home and hired a jeweller here to make me the ring. Cost me only slightly more than what I was getting it for in the islands, and I felt much safer with a ring made for me and an appraisal I could trust.

I think anytime you buy in ports you're taking a risk. Sure the cruiseline "endorsement" helps but it doesn't sound like they were too helpful in this case.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Admiral

We don't do DI or TI. We were on a cruise many years ago and we bought a tennis bracelet from DI. We thoroughly looked the bracelet over while in the store and decided to by it. When we buy diamonds we go for quality over quantity. They wrapped it up and we went back to the ship and had dinner. later that evening (after we left port) DW opened the box and we discovered it was not the bracket we picked out. The diamonds in this one was cloudy and dim. RCI was no help and we were stuck with this very poor quality bracelet. Nope we won't shop at either store.
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I remember getting off the ship in Ketchikan in 2006. Right after you got off the pier there was a Diamonds International. It really put a damper on the Alaskan cruise experience.

On my next cruise to Vietnam I'll probably get off the ship in Ha Long Bay and there will be another one.

Many years ago we bought a couple of small things there but usually go inland and buy from the locals.

People buy their stuff and that's why they stay in business. I know the cruise lines get a cut of what they sell. Nice contract to have.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:09 PM
First Mate

Diamonds International, as previously mentioned, is not owned by Carnival Corp.
If it was, other cruise lines would not be promoting DI to their passengers.

Starboard is also not owned by Carnival Corp. If it was, there would not be Starboard shops on non-Carnival Corp ships.

Starboard and DI are direct competitors for passenger dollars, and as such, are bitter enemies.

PPI, which does have financial interests in DI, is a bit of a scam artist. Their "front" is Porthole Magazine, which (if you pay attention) has little but advertisements for all the shops (like DI) that are promoted by the onboard shopping ambassadors (who work for PPI).
PPI also gives all sorts of impressive "awards" to the cruise lines that carry those shopping ambassadors on their ships.

The onboard shopping ambassadors work for PPI.
PPI gets paid by the cruise lines to have the shopping ambassadors onboard.
PPI gets paid by the shops (like DI) to have the shopping ambassadors onboard, promoting the shops ashore.

All of this has been very successful. PPI has been able to convince feeble-minded cruise passengers that gems which do not come from the Caribbean or Alaska, sold in shops run by East Indians, are somehow far cheaper to buy there.
Has anyone here seen any Diamond Mines in the Caribbean?

In reality they are not cheaper. Typically you can get a better deal at home or on the internet - and from a reputable dealer who will really stand behind the purchase.
Old September 12th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Imperial Jewellers and Trident Jewellers in STT

I shop at to established stores in St Thomas Imperial Jewellers and Trident Jewellers. They are next door to each other and treat us like family. After 60 plus cruses and $100's of thousands spent on jewellery and watches these two stores are the best. don't waste time at DI. They are all hype and no go. don't believe the ship and the DI return policy. You will have to go through hoops to make a return.
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Agree with everything you've said.

The advantage for some travellers (like Canadians) is the duty-free aspect of some items. I would not buy diamonds, but I think gold is a safe bet - as are "brand" items like watches, sunglasses, and designer goods. Our government over-taxes all imports, and then on top of it (in Ontario) we pay 13% sales tax. If you want to buy something, you have to know your prices before you go. You automatically save the 13%, but even the list price is cheaper than what have to pay for in Canada. I collect Pandora charms, so I always travel with my little Pandora book, so I know exactly if I'm getting a deal or not. List-price to list-price plus the savings on tax, lets a Canadian consumer come out hundreds of dollars head on some items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Diamonds International, as previously mentioned, is not owned by Carnival Corp.
If it was, other cruise lines would not be promoting DI to their passengers.

Starboard is also not owned by Carnival Corp. If it was, there would not be Starboard shops on non-Carnival Corp ships.

Starboard and DI are direct competitors for passenger dollars, and as such, are bitter enemies.

PPI, which does have financial interests in DI, is a bit of a scam artist. Their "front" is Porthole Magazine, which (if you pay attention) has little but advertisements for all the shops (like DI) that are promoted by the onboard shopping ambassadors (who work for PPI).
PPI also gives all sorts of impressive "awards" to the cruise lines that carry those shopping ambassadors on their ships.

The onboard shopping ambassadors work for PPI.
PPI gets paid by the cruise lines to have the shopping ambassadors onboard.
PPI gets paid by the shops (like DI) to have the shopping ambassadors onboard, promoting the shops ashore.

All of this has been very successful. PPI has been able to convince feeble-minded cruise passengers that gems which do not come from the Caribbean or Alaska, sold in shops run by East Indians, are somehow far cheaper to buy there.
Has anyone here seen any Diamond Mines in the Caribbean?

In reality they are not cheaper. Typically you can get a better deal at home or on the internet - and from a reputable dealer who will really stand behind the purchase.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think many, many years ago there were deals in the Caribbean, but those days are gone. I would much rather purchase a big dollar item at home and have the satisfaction of knowing, if there were any problems, I could have it taken care of right away and not from some foreign port.

Message Boards Moderator