Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Passenger

Default Universal Studios and the worth of its Express Pass?

Family of 6 here that'll be spending a day (if you can call 6 hours that) at Universal Studios. How crazy are the lines there during mid-August on a weekday, Tuesday 8/19? Should we purchase an Express Plus Pass, which would be around $166 more?

And what are the chances the Express line will turn out to be just as (if not longer) than the regular line because a lot of other people have also gotten the passes? Thanks!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Well Unverisal caught on fire so that may impact your decision. The Back to the Future clock tower was destroyed, and so was the king kong ride. Unverisal is more about the rides. If you want to see a real movie set. Do the Warner Brothers VIP tour it's a small tour of a working movie studio. No rides so your kids may or may not like it. My 8 year old nephew loved it but he is a movie freak like me. He loved seeing the batmobile.
http://www2.warnerbros.com/vipstudiotour/

Also if you are around Burbank at night you may be able to see the taping of a TV if they are in production. If the show is popular get there about 2 hours ahead. Because a ticket doesn't gty admission. The TV show taping are free. We saw "Big Bang Theory" it's fun to see "your" espiode on TV. http://www.tvtickets.com/ I have been to Los Angeles a lot so any questions you have just ask.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Yea, I heard about the unfortunate fire at Universal Hollywood. Guess I should have been more clear, but we'll be visiting Universal Studios Orlando. But thanks for your help!
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Familiar Face

Hi there,

I used to work at Universal (best...job...ever). Anyway, in August, every day is a crowded day, but at least you're going on a weekday. It will be hot as well. I would say go for it and buy the express pass which will get you into a separate line (that is usually short) on the side of the long, winding queue line. It's worth it if you don't want to wait an hour for an attraction that's only 2 minutes long. I recommend using your express pass for the new Simpsons ride that just opened, Terminator 2: 3D and other big attractions. If you like coasters, use it on the Mummy. If you like getting wet, use it on Jurassic Park.

Oh wait.....I just typed all of this and realized you're going to Orlando. Crap! Oh well, have a good time! And yes, get the pass. Nothing more icky than standing in hot, muggy, crowded lines.
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Passenger

Thanks deloreangirl, and all the rides you've listed pertain to Universal Orlando as well. I'm excited about the Simpsons ride!!

Btw, I've heard Express Passes indicate that you wouldn't have to wait on an express line for more than 15 mins. or they'll refund your money... is that true?
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhf108
Yea, I heard about the unfortunate fire at Universal Hollywood. Guess I should have been more clear, but we'll be visiting Universal Studios Orlando. But thanks for your help!
Oops I don't know Orlando sorry nothing I said will help you at all.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Katlady...
I was just about ready to put my two cents in about "The Price is Right" and a couple of sitcoms I've seen in person... "The Hughleys" and "Full House" We had a great time.
I don't know anything about the east coast, except I would like to go someday....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 8th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Katlady...
I was just about ready to put my two cents in about "The Price is Right" and a couple of sitcoms I've seen in person... "The Hughleys" and "Full House" We had a great time.
I don't know anything about the east coast, except I would like to go someday....
It's fun to go see a TV show being typed plus it's free. The first one I saw was Facts of Life (with George Clonney) now that does age me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Beginner

Hello!

We went to Universal Orlando In April during a school break time and only had to wait for one ride for more than 10 minutes (Jimmy Neutron- was about 30 min wait). I REFUSED to pay that much for those express passes. Disney doesn't even charge for theirs!! We went to Universal back about 4 years ago and the express passes were free! We spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get them- when they finally sent me into the store at the mummy ride and she told me how much they were I couldn't believe it. She said many people complained and I should file a complaint so maybe they would stop charging. The only way around it is if you are a guest at one of their properties, so next time we plan to stay at one of their hotels for at least one night I guess! If you are only going to be there for 6 hours I would maybe try to hit your favorite rides first and see how it goes and then judge your time- then purchase them if you must. We were there just before the Simpsons ride opened but from what I heard it is exactly the same as Back to the future but just different graphics! Don't miss the Mummy though- that is one of the most amazing rides anywhere. Good Luck!

Debbie