Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:14 AM
Beginner

Default what to wear on fall new england/canada cruise

We are taking a New England/Canada cruise in October. what to wear; will it be nice enough to wear capris and sandals on board, or is that a no no that time of year? do we really need a raincoat for the excursions; how cold will it get in Nova Scotia?? i'd appreciate the info on this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In October, you may have some indian summer days, but honestly flip flops and capris will really not serve you well on this itinerary. Bring a sweater or a hoodie sweatshirt, and maybe a lightweight, easy to fold up raincoat might not be a bad idea. basically on the decks, it wil be chilly. Have a great cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Admiral

As usual, Trip is giving good advice. It is more likely to be chilly on your cruise than not. I would pack a few light weight layers, definitely long pants and closed toe shoes. I have light weight silk longjohns that I love and a couple of silk turtlenecks. Take up a minimum of room and layering can keep me toasty. Of course, I am a total wimp when it comes to being cold!
Marty
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Beginner

Wear something warm and comfy for the day--Be sure have good walking shoes. But in the evening, it is fun to dress sexy and kick up your heels.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: what to wear on fall new england/canada cruise

sheilalinda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are taking a New England/Canada cruise in October. what to wear; will it be nice enough to wear capris and sandals on board, or is that a no no that time of year? do we really need a raincoat for the excursions; how cold will it get in Nova Scotia?? i'd appreciate the info on this. Thanks!
Our weather here in New England can be very unpredictable, and sometimes quite fickle, at that time of year. A few years ago, I had a friend come to visit over Columbus Day weekend. On Saturday, we went into Boston and walked around the city in shorts and shirtsleeves basking in temperatures in the lower 80's. On Sunday, a cold front came through while we were at Topsfield Fair (the oldest agricultural fair in the nation) causing temperatures to plummet down to the mid-30's and bringing enough flurries to cover bare ground. Normal daytime temperatures are in the 50's to lower 60's at that time of year, but wild fluctuations are common.

For sightseeing ashore and for wear on deck, the best advice is to dress in layers. You may well appreciate a warm jacket, hat, and gloves in the Canadian Maritimes, where conditions tend to be somewhat cooler, especially if your cruise is in October rather than September.

Since you'll be aboard ship in the evening, wear the type of eveningwear that you normally would wear on a cruise. The only caveat is that white and pastel dinner jackets really are not appropriate due to the cooler climate so gents should instead opt for a tuxedo or a dark business suit on the "formal" evenings.

Splitting hairs on Linda's reply, an "Indian Summer" is a warm spell after the first frost of fall, which marks the formal end of the growing season. Those of us who live here hope that you don't encounter an "Indian Summer" in October because that would mean an early first frost. A warm spell, however, is quite welcome!

Norm.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Admiral

ahh autum in New England! it totally agree with the others, you need to bring a little bit of everything lol. I would pack a couple of pairs of shorts in case it warms up, your capris would be fine for a warm day, casual pants for daytime touring. Track suits are a great idea for on deck, sweater or sweatshirt, lightweight layers- maybe a cotton turtleneck, good walking shoes, a fold-up rain poncho wouldn't be a bad idea, gloves and a hat. yes, do bring your swimsuit