Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Old June 15th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Captain

Default why not cell phones that work worldwide?

Maybe I'm the only one, but I feel the state of communication from aboard ship is abysmal. Sometimes , when we get to a port, we find that the $10 a minute charged by the ship is a bargain. There is no technical reason why our cell phones won't work in all areas of the globe, except that our cell phone companies don't put in the right programming. Treaties and copyrights? We are the only world power remaining. What's some other country going to do -- shoot down our sattlelight with their air force's piper cub? Actually, this is not a gripe for the cruise lines, but for the cell phone companies.

I agree that dinner on a cruise should not be interrupted by someone's cell phone call. Manners in cell phone use are essential. But calls to and from our cabins? Whey aren't they often possible, just because some banana republic has a different system than ours, that our providers could easily incorporate? Some of us have elderly relatives, children, and other reasons to stay in contact with home. For us, the lack of communications while cruising is a major problem. This problem will be solved only when cell phones are made available that will make and accept calls from all over the world. The technology is there. Why not now?
Old June 15th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: why not cell phones that work worldwide?

At least my provider has got a start. I can get service in Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and some areas of Central and South America. I just have to set my phone to search for service in that area. I am charged for roaming, but at least it works.
I have tried in Mex, PR. and Jam. and all places worked. It just took me a while to figure out how to get phone to search.

Jodi

Old June 15th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Babe,
There is a very good reason that cell phones don't work everywhere in the world, many places do not have cell towers, period. This is obviously true while you are at sea as you won't see towers floating around every fifty miles or so all over the oceans either. Now there ARE cell phones that DO work all over the world. They use satellite communications and work anywhere, including in the middle of the ocean. The prices for these phones and their use is rather high, but you get what you pay for.
Jim

Old June 16th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: why not cell phones that work worldwide?

Jim. Once again I didn't make myself sufficiently clear. I know that cell phones need towers within a certain distance to work. But because most of the cruises we take aren't really that far from land (we don't take transatlantic crossings and the like, but "port rich" cruises), I forgot about the impossibility of towers on the high seas. Of course that's true. My "gripe" referrs to when the ship is docked at, or very near, land.

Thanks.
Old July 27th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

There are mobile telephones that work world-wide. I live in China and have had one for years. The problem is that America is so far behind the rest of the world with communications technology that you cannot seem to catch up. When I took my Chinese multi-band telephone to America, the telephone providers were all gaga over this "space age wonder" that cost me about $50 in China a few years ago. I buy and recharge my telephone chip at a vending machine in a 7-11 Store in Beijing. You stand in line forever and pay a fortune for substandard equipment and service.

You ought to write your congreessman - or move to a more modern country.
Old September 30th, 2002, 02:14 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Re: why not cell phones that work worldwide?

My new Sony multi-band from Tokyo works everywhere in the world. It also takes photos and receives email.
What is wrong with you Americans? Didn`t you invent the telephone?