Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Was just reading an article about Pink Floyd's The Wall from 1979. Why is that relevant? Because amongst the trivia it stated that a flight from Indianapolis to Miami cost $279 in in 1979. I am currently looking at airfare from Indianapolis to Miami and it is about $350 - I can beat the $279 by flying to Fort Lauderdale.

Why has airfare not risen along with salaries? Because we use Kayak and Priceline to find the best fares, because SouthWest and JetBlue will get you there cheaper. So there only recourse to try to survive is by cramming more people into less space and by adding fees for every conceivable item.

Remember PanAm, Eastern, TWA, Ozark and a host of others?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Personal space

I am fit and lean so I am paying for some of the fuel that your oversized body requires to become airborne. That's not the problem--I am willing to pay a little more-- the problem is when your body crosses over the armrest and invades my space. I'm already paying for part of your flight now you want part of my seat too! Ok so if I slide over a little--I can give your years of surplus calories another few inches but its never enough. Fat seems to take on the shape of its container and it keeps coming over until contact with my body is made. Do you have any idea how gross that feels to a person not accustomed to fat containment? Or is it like the smoker who does not realize that his breath, clothes, car, house, wife, and kids all smell of cigarettes? Please pay for the extra seat or fly first class where you have more room.
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Familiar Face

I don't have a problem with airlines needing to require obese passengers to purchase an extra seat if needed.
I DO take issue with any airline that can not be sensitive about it or a flight attendant who needs to embarrass the passenger over it.
I have also witnessed a large man ( 6 ft 8, 300+ pounds) who did purchase two seats have to put up with a flight attendant try to guilt him into giving up his second seat because they'd overbooked the flight.

Sorry SW, you can't have it both ways.
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

wow - that is just wrong, trying to get him to give up the extra seat.

I was once on a flight where I had paid for my wife to fly and she had the seta next to me, and said "well, since my wife paid for the seat and she is not here I can expect that it will be empty, right?"

Wrong - they said she had to be on the plane to claim the seat (or at least check in) otherwise I gave the seat up. But do I get a refund? no.

Of course not.
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

That is just so wrong, I am sure they got a pretty penny for that seat, your wife should of received a refund and they could charge whatever they wanted to re-sell that seat...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Saw on news today where Southwest may start charging overweight people double fare (not sure of weight parameters). This would increase cruise costs if they carry through with this. Do you think this is fair? Should overweight people pay more.....certainly some need 2 seats. I think they should pay if they require 2 seats. I am not surprised at Southwests proposal and think other airlines will sit back and see how it goes before doing or not doing the same. I am not real surprised at the possibility of overweight people having to pay more to fly. .We are a country of overweight and obese people. US surgeon general stated earlier this year that this year deaths/illness due to overweight will surpass death/illness attributed to smoking. If not now..then in the near future, I would not be surprised to find that Companies will try not to hire obese people due to health costs. But for now........How do you feel about Southwests possible actions.

Why would this increase cruise cost?
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Captain

Default Extention belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Saw on news today where Southwest may start charging overweight people double fare (not sure of weight parameters). This would increase cruise costs if they carry through with this. Do you think this is fair? Should overweight people pay more.....certainly some need 2 seats. I think they should pay if they require 2 seats. I am not surprised at Southwests proposal and think other airlines will sit back and see how it goes before doing or not doing the same. I am not real surprised at the possibility of overweight people having to pay more to fly. .We are a country of overweight and obese people. US surgeon general stated earlier this year that this year deaths/illness due to overweight will surpass death/illness attributed to smoking. If not now..then in the near future, I would not be surprised to find that Companies will try not to hire obese people due to health costs. But for now........How do you feel about Southwests possible actions.

The airlines have been dealing with issues pertaining to encroachment on other passengers for years.
It is a matter of time before passengers must request seatbelt extensions during ticket purchase.

Most airlines are in the process of reconfigured aircraft and will have narrower seats in a portion of coach, meaning large passengers may not fit in the new seats. New regulations now restrict passengers from bringing their own seat belt extensions, they must be provided by the airline.

American airlines announced a new seat (narrower) in a portion of coach and branding them.

Now consider a 100 pound passenger seated next to a 300 pound passengers that is unable to fit in their seat. The flight attendants must deal with the problem and the 100 pound passenger ultimately receives the penalty.

If a passenger needs a seat 24 inches wide seat in order to fit in the seat and the passengers purchases the 18-inch coach seat because of cost.
Don't even think for one second the 300 pound passengers with a 50-inch waist line has the option to lift the armrest and encroach on the personal space of the 100 pound passenger.

If they choose to fly, then they need to purchase a seat they can fit in, even if it is business or 1st class.

Otherwise a passenger can drive, or take a train.
I am not being rude, I am considering other passengers rights.

Until the airlines put handicap seats on aircraft, the flight attendants should deny boarding to passengers that are unable to fit in their seat or fat pours over the armrest into the next seat.
Old April 26th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Captain

How do the airlines handle handicapped persons who have weight problems, i.e. weight 300 pounds. Does the person get a double seat to accomodate them and do they charge double fare. What if the flight attendents argue that a person weighing 300 plus pounds would be to difficult to extract in the case of an emergency. Would the person be denied access to the plane.
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Captain

Post Free seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driversed28 View Post
I used to have respect for this website....but after this thread I am beginning to wonder.
You seem to generalize all obese people in one category, but you can not honestly look at an obese person and know if it they are heavy from their own doing or because of a medical problem.

I happen to be obese...as is my mother...my grandmother... and 2 of my aunts. It is a hereditary thryoid problem that has affected probably 5-6 generations of the women in my family.

Have I let my weight stop me HECK NO!!! In High School I was in marching band and worked at a scout camp and hiked 10 miles a day....

I cannot run...but I do walk everyday....I play with my 9 and 10 yr old...I participate in the 5 or 10 k charity walks each summer.

I eat less than a thin person would eat in 1 day...My Cholesteral is Great....I am not a diabetic... and I am a hygiene freak.

Yes...I would take a seatbelt extension on a plane..merly for comfort. but I would not "spill into your space"

and don't tell me It's my fault....the pills I take have pretty much stopped the weight gain...the only time I have ever been able to loose a substantial amount of weight was during pregnancy..I lost alot of weight but almost my child as well.

Do not judge a book by it's cover....
I would give my right arm..not to be obese..for me it is not a choice.
The comments I have seen here have given me a sour taste for this respectable site...

I guess I will be searching for my cruise advise elsewhere from now on...First it was "who will be in line first" and saving yourself before the children...now this.
One of these days one of you may end up with a condition that leaves you unsightly in some way...then maybe you will realize how you sound now.

I see your point and some of the responses were taken personally, but the focus that is at issue is a free seat.
Mothers with babies, tall people and passengers with wheel chairs also have the same issue concerning the FREE SEAT.

If you read the new policy SouthWest has on there web-site you will find delicate language basically protecting all passengers and the personal space for which the passenger has purchased allowing the airline staff at the gate to determine the final word.
The new policy address many issues, including passengers whom own there on seat belt extensions. No longer allowed!

I am 6'2" tall, my knees hit the seat in from of me on many aircraft, not only have the passengers in the forward seat complained, I have been requested to not allow my feet to extend into the isle.
I now check SeatGuru.com to confirm details on the seat I plan on purchasing including width and pitch.
If my flight is over 2-hours, I purchase business class, I have no other choice in this matter.

The key words used in the SouthWest updated policy is SAFTY!

If the flight is not full, I would assume there will be no problems, but if the flight is full, SouthWest may not elect to remove a revenue passenger regardless of a medical issue that must be addressed.
SouthWest has even written into the updated policy language that allows passengers to pre-purchase 2/3 seats at the time of reservations to accommodate the needs of any passenger that may have such a condition.

Did you know the airlines are now taking delivery on aircraft that have even narrower seats in coach and even less leg room?
American Airlines will be offering a new class of service with these narrower seats very soon

If you look at the overall direction of the industry, you will see a pattern of the airlines finding ways to increase revenues, luggage is one of the biggest contenders, if you look at the latest carry-on size and weight limits with American Airlines & US Airways followed by United Airlines last month, you will find all three airlines have reduced the over-all exterior size was reduced from 47.5 inches to 45 inches, even if your flying 1st class. The weight limit has also been reduced to 40 lbs.
All three airlines will penalize you for each issue individually for both size/weight.
United has a charge of $200 for being over-size plus an additional charge for over-weight.
American/US Airways is $100 for over-size plus an additional fee's for over-weight luggage both checked and carry-on..

Now, talking about the size restrictions for carry-on, you will find a sizing display to verify your carry-on without the use of a measuring tape in the lobby area at the check-in gate.

It will not be long before the check-in gate area will have seats in the forward lobby area to serve the same service as the luggage measuring units used for sizing carry-on.

Checked luggage has also been changed, because there are many factors that will affect the cost of checked luggage including and not limited to class of service, date ticket purchase, status of the flyer, etc., the cost will vary greatly.

It is the responsibility of each passenger to know the latest policy updates on passage contracts to better protect against unexpected fees and or denied boarding.
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Captain

Post Terms are in width not pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
How do the airlines handle handicapped persons who have weight problems, i.e. weight 300 pounds. Does the person get a double seat to accomodate them and do they charge double fare. What if the flight attendents argue that a person weighing 300 plus pounds would be to difficult to extract in the case of an emergency. Would the person be denied access to the plane.

The airlines do not identify weight on any passage contract, all sets are identified using the terms in width and pitch.
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Captain

Talking The old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Was just reading an article about Pink Floyd's The Wall from 1979. Why is that relevant? Because amongst the trivia it stated that a flight from Indianapolis to Miami cost $279 in in 1979. I am currently looking at airfare from Indianapolis to Miami and it is about $350 - I can beat the $279 by flying to Fort Lauderdale.

Why has airfare not risen along with salaries? Because we use Kayak and Priceline to find the best fares, because SouthWest and JetBlue will get you there cheaper. So there only recourse to try to survive is by cramming more people into less space and by adding fees for every conceivable item.

Remember PanAm, Eastern, TWA, Ozark and a host of others?

Pink Floyd, are you referring to when smoking was allowed on aircraft, with the exception of bud?
How about when you could check 3 bags all weighing 100 lbs.
Old June 1st, 2014, 12:23 PM
Captain

Post SouthWest Policy on seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
If this entire process isn't attacked by human rights commissions and ADA, I'll be VERY surprised!
Hi Kuki

I copied and pasted the actual SouthWest policy on another thread, you may want to move it here.

Passengers of size have several options and the measuring gage is the seat arm rest.
Weight, height, waist size & shoulder width are not factors in the policy.

The policy is based on safety first and all passengers space for which is defined in the policy.

If SouthWest is protecting all passengers and leaving the final decision to the agents at the airport.

SouthWest even addressed the extension belt issue. Passengers can only use seat belt issued by SouthWest Airlines.

SouthWest actually is more than fair, the web-site has options for purchase of extra seats at select fairs for advance purchase, however, they leave open a gap in the protection of that extra seat.

Passengers, whom are attempting to get a "FREE" seat may be requested to disembark the aircraft, providing the aircraft is oversold.

Being airlines have luggage racks in the gate area to measure your carry-on, the airlines should also have exact seats to allow passenger to verify the armrest will lower. this would be the safety factor.
Even though the armrest can be lowered, that does not mean the passenger will be able to fit without extreme discomfort.
More important is the passengers safety and personal space next to the passenger in question.

It would be the responsibility of the passengers seated next to the passenger in question to notify the cabin personal immediately.

Once the aircraft closes the cabin door and no other seats are available, your stuck.